View Single Post
Old 04-16-2003, 07:53 AM   #140
Dain
Wight

Dain has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, there are lots of good books listed here, and I've read some of them. Frank Herbert's Dune is brilliant, David Edding's series about Ender is good, though "Ender's Game" stands out and you don't have to read it as a series. Robert Heinlein has some very good books (loved Starship Troopers) and some very strange ones (never finished Stranger in a Strange Land). And I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Philip K. **** , who wrote a lot of short-ish, strange, brilliant science fiction, including Do Androids Dream of Electic Sheep, which was the basis for the equally brilliant Blade Runner (though they are very different). C. S. Lewis' Narnia series is a must-read, though it's been years since I have.

I haven't found so many "fantasy" authors who really stand out. The stories are usually fun, but never quite satisfying... I keep going down to the bookstore and looking at all the pretty books and their intreguing titles, but can never figure out what to read. I'll look into some of the recommendations here, thanks!

Oh, so I can't write Philip K. **** , can I? How annoying. His name is D I C K, does that work? And even the titles of his books are just brilliant... can't beat old-school sci-fi.

[ April 16, 2003: Message edited by: Dain ]