View Single Post
Old 01-22-2005, 06:45 AM   #16
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
I too agree with Lalwendė and Boromir88 about Aragorn. And also - especially when I first read LOTR - this was one of the parts that made Aragorn unlikeable to me, as I do perceive his attitude as arrogant (though thankfully not accompanied by stubborness, as he ultimately accepts Gandalf's diplomatic advice). And all the more since his arrogance is needless. What did he hope to gain in his keeping Anduril? Did he have so little faith in the doorwardens who were to guard the weapons? If I were Hama, I would have felt insulted. Since Aragorn is coming to Rohan not to demand, but to serve (he will aid the Rohirrim in battle) he must show acceptance of the customs and obedience. It is not he who rides side by side with the King of the Mark when they set off to Helm's Deep, it is Gandalf that rides at the head of the company with Theoden - while Aragorn, Eomer, Legolas and Gimli follow suit. His position at the moment is indeed very similar to that of Eomer, especially since Theoden had named the latter as his heir. They are both future kings but none of them holds that position yet and there's a difference. If Aragorn were already king, his attitude would feel more justified, but Theoden would still have the right to decide matters in his own 'house'.

Also there's this line that puzzled me:
Quote:
"Death shall come to any man that draws Elendil's sword save Elendil's heir."
More scare tactics? Or is it really something behind this line that's more than a metaphor meaning: "I'll kill you on the spot if you touch my sword." But if the sword was indeed cursed (or blessed, depends on how you see it) with such a power, I think we would have had more mentions of it.