View Single Post
Old 08-02-2020, 04:27 PM   #6
mindil
Animated Skeleton

mindil has just left Hobbiton.
Let's say that your approach is correct. Let's imagine that you have completed your study of Tolkien and managed to connect every possible word with every possible symbol. You have identified hundreds or thousands of patterns.

Your conclusion so far has been that Tolkien is predictable and uses patterns. Is that all your study has to offer? Is all you have to teach us the fact that he is predictable and uses patterns? What does that predictability tell us further? Is there anything to learn from the sort of patterns you find in Tolkien?

Do we now know that he was a numerologist? A member of a secret society? Is his book a secret code to the apocalypse? In which case, what is the secret message?

It should be clear to you by now that extremely few people are going to pursue your line of research. But that's OK, all research is done by a few for the benefit of the many. Scientific researchers don't tell their readers: "If you want to know how to use the results of our study, do it yourself." They present their useful conclusions in the plainest language possible.

So please tell us: What overall new, insightful insight do we now know about Tolkien and his opus, thanks to his predictability and patterns. I don't want to know the details of 6s and 9s. I want to know what single, meaningful large insight you have to share that grows out of all those tiny details, without hearing a single one of those details.

That's what researchers do in every other field. They tell me that anti-oxidants protect against toxins, without my having to understand a single thing about bio-chemistry.

Please tell me what meaningful conclusion you have to offer, without my having to read a single word of any of your patterns and predictions.

Thank you in advance.
mindil is offline   Reply With Quote