View Single Post
Old 10-08-2011, 08:12 AM   #1172
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Saeryn

She had expected grand talk and a speech given and she sat with a polite but distant look on her face as Athanar gave it. Her eyes idly ran over the gathered faces looking up at Athanar as he spoke of their joy at Eodwine's return. She rested her cheek on her hand just an instant and then lifted her head again. She wondered exactly how joyous Athanar was at Eodwine's return. She thought of what she had said to Athanar of her intention to set Eodwine back in the place of eorl. He still had not mentioned it and nothing in his look or manner indicated that he felt threatened or concerned with her ultimatum. She glanced at Athanar.

“Today we celebrate his return with a feast held in his honor. Three cheers for Eodwine, Counselor to the Eorl of Scarburg!”

Saeryn stiffened without meaning to. Her face froze in an icy expression and she did not cheer with the rest. She carefully schooled her face to take on a neutral look. Conflict must be avoided this evening at all cost, she knew, and by the time Eodwine looked at her after Athanar had ceased speaking, he saw her calm and collected, but the look was entirely insincere.

Counselor indeed. To the Eorl of Scarburg. Might he have made the distinction any more clear? Eodwine should be the one who was eorl! She bit her lip and turned the cup in her hand. Don't think thus, she said to herself. Eodwine wills not to be eorl. You must be content with whatever position Athanar gives him. Counselor is an honor.

Yes, supposing he takes any counsel. Even Thornden could not talk any good sense into him, as you well know. She drank deeply of the mead and set the cup down again. Counselor, she repeated silently. Counselor. Counselor for what? How to run this place? Ha, he already has his own ideas. She fingered her knife and fork and stared out as she thought. Her eyes rested on the layman's table and she witnessed in silence the end of the quarrel between Leof, Quin, and Scyrr. Counselor about how to keep his men under control? Her fingers curled suddenly she gripped the utensils tightly. It was all so unfair. She couldn't forget, she wouldn't forget, how Athanar had come and replaced Eodwine in such a brazen, unfeeling way, his first night occupying Eodwine's hall and putting Eodwine's men to shame, and now his men were abusing Leof, unnoticed, unchallenged – except just now, of course, Coenred had interfered. But there was no disgrace, no punishment. He led him back to the table and then Scyrr went outside, and that was probably all.

Saeryn wouldn't stand for it. Disrespect towards Leof had not gone unnoticed by Saeryn. She had kept watch over her people as well as she knew how during Eodwine's absence, and she knew how the men from Edoras treated him, as well as some of the other people. It had troubled her greatly, but until now she had no thought about how to stop their rudeness and disrespect. But now she knew what she could say, and she had an opportunity to say it, having just watched what passed.

She stood and turned away from the table without consulting Eodwine. She passed along the edge of the hall and thence to the door where Scyrr had disappeared outside. She went out, too, and called into the darkness.

“Scyrr!”

The soldier had not gotten far. He turned and came toward her. “What?” he asked in a surly voice.

“Just now, in the hall, you were on the verge of attacking Leof. I saw you. Now, I've seen and heard of your savage attack on people before. You goaded Erbrand into the fight just after coming here. That's not acceptable, do you hear? You'll leave Leof alone from now on, do you understand me?”

“Just like the coward,” Scyrr growled. “Sending a woman out to do the fighting for him.”

“I am not Leof's messenger, I am lady Saeryn, Eodwine's wife. I came out myself. I don't like you bullying my men, and I have had enough, and you'll mind how you talk and act from this day forward.”

Scyrr leaned towards her. She smelled the mead on his breath. “I don't take orders from a woman,” he said. “And certainly not one married to a sick man who vies for Lord Athanar's place like a dog trying to take his master's chair.”

Saeryn swung as hard as she could and struck Scyrr across the face. “Dog!” she said, furious. “You do not know of whom it is you speak!”

Last edited by Folwren; 10-08-2011 at 09:09 AM.