View Single Post
Old 06-24-2011, 06:49 PM   #3206
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Eodwine will of course stop in Edoras to greet his lord. But word isn't going to run ahead of him to Edoras, so Eomer and everybody will be surprised.

Word from Edoras to Scarburg is another matter. I'm sure that Eomer will send a messenger on to Scarburg to announce Eodwine's impending return while Eodwine sleeps at least one night in Edoras.

As for any whisperings between Eomer and Eodwine, one of the things Eodwine will have found out is that he has been replaced as Eorl of Scarburg, rather recently.

Let's just say it goes something like this:

"I will have you know, Eodwine, that since every word from our healers and from those at Mundburg were that you were not likely to live, it was needful to have a new eorl in Scarburg who would be there to the end of his days. Do you remember Athanar?"

Eodwine was taken aback, but he saw the king's point. "Yes, I do. He is a good man; headstrong, but good."

The king smiled. "He is the new eorl. Will you return to Scarburg to stay, as a freeman holding Athanar as your eorl, or would you go elsewhere with your new wife?"

"I do have lands in Westfold I could rebuild on, but I think I need time, and I would not make Saeryn travel while she is with child. If Athanar is the eorl, and I am to be at Scarburg, I will pledge my sword and duty to him as long as I am there. Does that satisfy the king's curiosity?"

"Aye, it does," the king replied. "Help him, Eodwine. He will need it. The Middle Emnet has fallen to lawlessness and wilfullness among its Eorling landholders. Your counsel is wise, and he will be glad of it, and I will be glad of your presence there. And care for your wife."

"I will do as you ask, my lord."

I don't really see Eodwine as the ambitious type. He'd just as soon leave the eorling responsibility behind, although others may not realize that right away. As for an alternate eorldom for Athanar down the road, that's your call, Nogrod. It really doesn't matter to me.