View Single Post
Old 10-19-2022, 03:40 PM   #10
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
A minor thought, occasioned by this thread (especially G55), is that Amazon kind of shot itself in the foot for having any FURTHER shows taken out of the Second Age: by condensing everything from the founding of Eregion to the coming of the Istari into a single human lifespan--or less!--they're making it much less likely that they'd ever get a chance to do MORE.

If they did a complete show JUST about Eregion and it does well, now you're set up for ANOTHER show about Númenor's decline AND another show about your fanfiction of the Silvan Elves AND another show about the Harfeet and the Entwives and then a big crossover for the Akallabęth and the Last Alliance--and by preserving the centuries that Amazon has elided into a couple years, you leave room to carve out more if the audience keeps enjoying it.

In other words, I think Amazon has utterly prevented the chance of doing a "Disney+ Star Wars" on the property. Which, admittedly, is probably something the anti-adaptation fans would prefer. Obviously, the big reason why is that Amazon has a fifty-hour licence--take it all and cram it in, I guess (eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow the Estate won't let us make anything more).

That's a bit short-sighted, though, I think--if RoP does well (over the long haul, whatever that ends up being), there's pressure to let Amazon do more, and over the LONGER haul, either the rights expire or the Estate's leadership gets ever more gold-sickened. Either way, to box the world in to a single generation when it could have been spread over millennia strikes me as a lost opportunity, and one that would require quite a bit more fanfiction to disentangle when the opportunity someday comes.