View Single Post
Old 10-15-2022, 04:44 PM   #10
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hicklin View Post
All I can say us that I don’t in the least regret having given this a miss.
I can understand and respect that adaptations aren't everyone's cup of tea (or whatever particular drink of choice you prefer). For what it's worth, you don't strike me as a person who shames fans like myself, or think that somehow enjoying adaptations make me a 'lesser' Tolkien fan.

I understand members on this forum who don't think film and media adaptations are necessary to bring Tolkien's story to life. If I was brought up and introduced to the books first, maybe my opinions would be the same. I share similar opinions to the gripes on Hollywood, towards Amazon and Disney...etc. Why put in the hard work of creating an original story, when you can just smack on Tolkien branding and make higher profits (or believe that it will make more money)? Adaptations, fanfiction, "remakes" are here and don't appear to be going away anytime soon.

As Form and Oddwen have said, I think it's accurate to say Peter Jackson loved The Lord of the Rings. It shows if you've watched the documentaries about the making of LOTR. And to his credit he put together a more talented, and knowledgeable team and cast of actors around him that were just as passionate (if not even more so) about Lord of the Rings.

With Season's 1 conclusion, I would argue with anyone that it's clear to me Payne and McKay read about and we're inspired by the Middle-earth's 2nd Age; particularly the Rings of Power and Fall of Eregion and Numenor. I agree with Form and everyone else here, that the Amazon team, leaves a lot to be desired. I don't know if they'll get the warts out to elevate the series to have the impact the LOTR trilogy did. But the finale did it's job for me, in the way of "ok it's finally going somewhere" and answered the questions that needed answered. I'm intrigued by the possible paths future seasons can follow.

-The Stranger (might as well just call him Gandalf now ) is heading East. I'm interested to see what they do with Rhun.
-I want to see how Celebrimbor and Sauron's relationship plays out. I like Charles Edward's take by truly showing Celebrimbor's craftsmanship is leading to an obsession and tragedy. His interaction at meeting Halbrand (and someone with shared passion). His facial expression when Galadriel says they're never to treat with Halbrand again was spot on. It was an "about that...yeah that's not going to happen and who are you to give me that advice?"
-I'm most intrigued by what alliances will form? Sauron and Adar are heading for a collision course. Who allies with Adar? Does Sauron "steal away" the loyalty and reverence the orcs have for Adar? What part does Numenor play during Sauron and Adar's confrontation?
-And obviously more rings need to be forged.

Last edited by Boromir88; 10-15-2022 at 04:47 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote