View Single Post
Old 10-14-2022, 01:04 PM   #2
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
More sustained thoughts to come later... the TLR is that I generally liked things in this episode but generally feel--like last episode--that the pacing is wobbly and there are inexplicable adaptational choices made. I think it ends the season on a comparative high note, but that's not without many, many caveats.
  • Wow, it feels like ages since I watched this--the recap feels ancient, including stuff that JUST happened.
  • A mysterious apple-thief/spy? Haven't you introduced enough new--oh, oh never mind. It's the creepy white cloaks.
  • Well THEY think he's Sauron, anyway.
  • I will miss the opening credits being in my life each week.
  • Lindon looks impressive--or is that Eregion? Does Eregion exist in this world?
  • Oh, are the Rings supposed to be the back-up plan to the Mithril Sun-Baths? It's... quite the dramatisation, but...
  • Elrond, YOU are the healer, right? Why aren't YOU doing any healing?
  • "The only thing we can do" just doesn't hit--hackneyed writing!
  • Oh, do we get an actual Celebrimbor scene?
  • Even if Halbrand isn't Sauron, this is a good Annatar-baity scene.
  • "A gift"--okay, that's even more Annatar-baity.
  • "Forge a tomb"--you don't forge tombs, Pharazôn!
  • Why are you talking to Númenor's apprentices? This sounds very plot-convenient, Pharazôn. You should be talking to the island's master craftsmen.
  • While he's a bit atextual, crazy seer Tar-Palantír is effective.
  • Gil-galad being the one who DISLIKES this plan feels out of character for THIS Gil-galad, but closer to the book. I don't understand this Gil-galad's motivations.
  • "Return to Lindon"--okay, this hastily-erected city that looks ancient actually is Eregion. Gotta keep it.
  • More Halbrand-is-Annatar bait.
  • The fact that Galadriel is researching Halbrand's background feels like more Annatar-bait. But at what point do I have to admit it isn't bait but what the plot actually is.
  • Well, that was ominous, Halbrand--the point seems to be coming. So, of course, let's switch to the Starman plot.
  • Okay, but why are the stars strange in the East? That's not exactly how it works in this world. And, yes, Aragorn spoke of walking far in the east--but also the south!--where the stars are strange. Is this just bad research or a comment on the flatness of the world?
  • Look, Harfeet, at some point you should just consider him lost on the road--this seems a very bad--oh, hang on: we have Blue Wizards, me thinks! Or some sort of weird duplication.
  • Awww, no, it's not two Starmen--it's a disguise.
  • These White Cloaks continue to be sufficiently creepy.
  • Wait, the association with fire is supposed to be a Gandalf thing, isn't it?
  • Too much CGI.
  • "Istar" well, that would seem to be confirmed, whichever Istar he is.
  • This is an overly dramatic death scene--and your magic wizard is RIGHT THERE.
  • Also, doesn't dawn seem to have arrived really conveniently? Like, right after midnight?
  • "Does not merely mean one who loves the stars" is a nicely tight and understated--and unspoken--way of saying it.
  • Well THERE are the black, erm, sails of the Númenóreans--kinda. Context is all wrong. Dramatic, but not consistent.
  • "Ourselves," Galadriel? You're not quite part of the smithing, are you?
  • Well, Halbrand, I guess you're Annatar by default now.
  • I feel like Arondir or, say, Bronwyn should have told you this, Galadriel. The way they responded to "King Halbrand" makes this look like a last minute change.
  • But it is a dramatic reveal. The music works, and that's some of his better dialogue.
  • Oh yeah, that's what they thought Finrod looked like...
  • This is a nonsense dream? mind-invasion? scene--but the lies Sauron is whispering are fairly in character.
  • The Ring always offered power and rule, I suppose.
  • I don't know if we can believe a word this Sauron says... but if we could, it's got some textual support.
  • "Three Rings for the Elven-Kings," I guess.
  • Giving up her blade for the Rings is... unexpected, but I suppose I like it.
  • So we just need confirmation if Starman is Gandalf or a Blue Wizard--the indications would seem to be Gandalf. A Blue Wizard I'd enjoy... Gandalf annoys me: it's such a case of prequelitis (stuffing things into the prequel from the first story "because" when it doesn't have to be there.
  • I do sort of thematically like the idea of Gandalf getting to meet the Hobbits before they can possibly remember it, but it offends my sense of timeline--and how is Gandalf to get Narya from Círdan as he arrives at the Havens?
  • Hobbits imparting advice at parting is nice as a concept.
  • Was that supposed to be a Gandalf pre-quote?
  • You don't look hot next to this forge, Galadriel. An elf is supposed to always look cool, I suppose.
  • Travelled to Mordor rather quickly, didn't we, Halbrand?
  • It's weird getting end credits...
  • So, do we get a new set of Rings at the end of each season? Dwarves at the end of 2, Men at the end of three, Sauron at the end of 4--and then the Last Alliance in Season 5?