View Single Post
Old 09-26-2022, 10:33 AM   #3
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I have wanted to reply to this but RL is not giving me much time for thoughtful posts.

First of all--and this is not related to visuals--what I especially like about RoP is the depiction of friendships and in particular women's agency. This is so unlike GoT, where sexual violence has been normalised and the main themes of human behaviour seem to be betrayal, nastiness, cruelty, vicious competition rather than cooperation. I"m thinking in particular of Nori and Poppy, but also of Nori's relationship with Meteor Man/The Stranger. I could go on, but this isn't visual.

Numenor is breath-takingingly sumptuous. The blues and teals with gold and yellows are stunning. The ships are magnificent. The architecture and detail is varied.

Lindon also is gorgeous. The lands of the Harfoot tribe are well depicted and I like the detail in these hobbits' use of camoflauge.

Khâzad-dűm is also magnificent, reminding me a bit of Metropolis but creating a meaningful display of dwarven culture; I would use the word "beautiful" in of course a different manner than Numenor.

Light is well done, particularly its significance; it isn't a cliche. and I find it interesting that the darkness of under-earth dwelling of the dwarves is a different kind of darkness than that which depicts the orcs.

The orcs don't look like five hour makeup cosmetics; in that sense, they are more credible as threatening beings rather than animalistic villains.

Overall, colour is handled creatively, imaginatively, and gorgeously. A wonderful palette and very watchable.

Like you, I'm not impressed with Bronwyn's dress. She should be wearing some kind of under shirt or under dress beneath that blue sheath. That could have been done in a style or manner that didn't immediately say, "Viking woman's dress", but would have been more suitable for the time.

I'm running out of time. Back later. Nice thread!