View Single Post
Old 09-24-2022, 05:42 PM   #19
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar Elenion View Post
Maglor is not mentioned in LotR. And both are implied to be dead:
"The sons of Eärendil were Elros and Elrond, the Peredhil or Half-elven. In them alone the line of the heroic chieftains of the Edain in the First Age was preserved; and after the fall of Gil-galad the lineage of the High-elven Kings was also in Middle-earth only represented by their descendants."
LotR, App. A
I would have sworn he was in the Appendices, but I stand corrected.

For Feanor, all that means he has to die before Gil-Galad, which I figure is a given - unless he's Sauron or the Mouth, Adar can't survive the series without raising serious questions as to where he went. Yes, I'm firmly committed to this crackpot theory now.

All right, a replacement for Maglor as my backup theory: Turgon. Namedropped as king of Gondolin and Elrond's ancestor in Appendix A, and therefore as the wielder of Glamdring. Lots of lovely family connections to play with, and for bonus points his canonical death has him dying in his collapsing tower, which he could plausibly have survived with, I dunno, burn scars or something.

Darn, I think that might actually be a reasonable theory. There's enough Gondolin across Hobbit and LotR that they could easily do a flashback to the Goblin Wars when his identity is revealed.

Whoever Adar is, I'm kind of hoping he sets up against Sauron, rather than just being his servant. It would be fun to see the Saruman dynamic replicated and drawn out a little more.

hS