View Single Post
Old 09-18-2022, 06:18 AM   #10
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Legate, I believe you wrote a comment in the Episode 3 thread about the Meteor Man and not finding out anymore to uncover his mystery. Unfortunately, it might be one of the mysteries that get strung along. The actor playing him said in an interview, prior to the series, that the mystery of The Stranger and his purpose isn't revealed in Season 1. I don't think he gave anymore as far as when it's "revealed" but we're at least going to get 5 more episodes of clues, or red herrings, with no actual resolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
- I don't know why everyone thinks Halbrand is Sauron, apart from him being somewhere in the jerk/villain territory plus ogling that smithy. Compared to most other characters he actually has a lot of backstory and character motivation already, and that would be wasted on a decoy. I think his character doesn't need the extra layer of being Sauron in disguise, it would actually make it less deep. But future nazgûl? Very likely. (Maybe even the Witch-King, given how big a role he's playing so far?)
I see other little clues that did make me wonder, is this Sauron? In Galadriel's jail break scene, Pharazon is next to Halbrand, and Halbrand says something like "I would advise you not to do that." It certainly was meant to look like the captive advising his captors.

My thoughts though are it could possibly put me off from the show if Halbrand is Sauron. It would completely ruin Galadriel's character, for me. Even more so than this "there is a tempest in me" and feeling like she's going to have some sort of tantrum every time another authority figure tells her no. I mean, Galadriel is someone we know who has remarkable insight into people (even before her ring) it's established she is known to be able to read people. They've already established will not rest in defeating Sauron, obsessively hunting for him after Finrod's death, rejected Annatar (because she's a superb judge of character). To have her fooled in a cheap "gotcha" Halbrand is Sauron, would butcher her character, imo. I don't think the showrunners are that terrible to pull a Halbrand is Sauron. At least they haven't shown they are yet.

I rather think that "advice" to Pharazon from within a jail cell scene, was foreshadowing and revealing more into Pharazon's character, than figuring out the Halbrand mystery. My current theory after Episode 4 is Halbrand becomes acclimated in Numenor and to Pharazon. Maybe becoming an advisor/general/captain under Pharazon and becoming a future Nazgul. I can see a future Nazgul being formerly important members of the King's Men. Anyway, I think this episode to be more revealing into Pharazon's and Miriel's character. The "Halbrand advising Galadriel and then Pharazon from within a jail cell" is foreshadowing for Pharazon's storyline, and doesn't answer the question of who is Halbrand? At least, that's my personal theory.

Quote:
- I liked the visuals of Númenór, but the culture/politics felt pretty lazily written. (You could make so much more out of the cultural/ linguistic / dare I say religious conflict. Also "Elves will steal your jobs and Middle-Earthers will steal your women"? Ughhhh tired.) I liked the portrayal of all of Míriel, Elendil and Pharazon.
I didn't mind that part, because the person speaking to the crowd at first was one of the forge guild members. So, it gives the grass roots, working class perspective. Pharazon swoops in and kind of immediately takes over, stealing the scene for me. He pivots from the "they're going to take our jobs and women" rabble rousing the guild member was doing, to "come now, Elves are not a threat to our lives, because we are the Edain." He pivots to appeal to the valor and pride of Men.

I re-watched the episode this morning and I like Elrond a bit better. Friday was an exhausting day for me, and when I was finally able to sit down and watch it, I probably wasn't paying the closest attention, just being too tired. I still had Episodes 1 and 2 thinking Elrond was being manipulative with Galadriel, Durin and Disa. Then he starts the episode being a sneaky agent for Celebrimbor, lurking on bridges...but his friendship with Durin and Disa felt sincere towards the end of the episode. The episode 5 preview has him showing the mithril piece Durin gave him as a "token of friendship" to Celebrimbor. Made me think he immediately goes and hands over the token of friendship to Celebrimbor, but I also suppose he could just be showing it to Celebrimbor and Elrond keeps that piece. Ah, new theory, keeps that piece for when vilya is forged. (eventhough in the lore Gil-galad should receive vilya first)