View Single Post
Old 08-21-2022, 08:29 PM   #360
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hicklin View Post
More than anything, what I resent about this "book that Tolkien never wrote" is its tired and tiresome genericism, its utter and complete lack of anything even resembling creativity or personality. We've all seen it all before, seen these characters, heard these lines:* it's Screen Factory Fantasy Product Sludge #9. If Tolkien is gorau glas, this is Cheez Whiz. The Tolkien branding fits it about as well as a Rolls-Royce grill on a VW Beetle (without the ironic humor). So before we ever even get to questions of weapons or costumes or skin color or actors-who-need-to-shut-up, we have already violated the First Commandment of Tolkien Adaptation: Thou shalt not suck.

So I'm not worried about Tolkien's books being "damaged" - except to the extent that a future generation might go "The Lord of the Rings?" You mean what that turgid, tawdry Amazon tripe was based on? No, thank you." But I'm certainly not going to waste my time watching it -- unless it's someday featured on MST3000...
__________________________________________________ ________
*The ones in the latest trailer are practically examples from the manual, 101 Portentous and Weighty-Sounding Declarations for Talentless Hack Screenwriters
That was humorous. Typical, but humorous. Unlike you, I think Rings of Power will introduce a lot of people to Tolkien's written works, much like what the PJ stuff did, and Bakshi did, and Bass-Rankin did, etc. etc. So what if they sucked, and this sucks. Seeing all the panties getting into a wad over a show that hasn't aired yet is rather telling of the people doing it more than what they are all in a twit about.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote