View Single Post
Old 07-15-2022, 08:10 PM   #10
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar Elenion View Post
Hence a contradiction to LotR and The Hobbit.
(As Amazon only has rights to the Hobbit and LotR, I do wonder if they had to get permission from the Estate to refer to the 'Sun and Moon creation myth', or if the show-runners are ignorant of the fact that the creation of the sun and moon myth is contradicted by LotR and, quite deliberately, The Hobbit.)
So the issue is more that the showrunners are technically using something they don't have rights to? Because it seems like the real problem you're underlining is not that the show is discrepant from the legendarium, but that there are discrepancies in Tolkien's own materials. And frankly, this one I would give to the show - imagine if they followed your scenario, what the reaction would be then. People would be shouting from rooftops that the show has no respect for Tolkien if they never heard about the Trees and how the sun and moon were created. I would much rather they stick to The Sil cosmology and Sun&Moon creation myths. And at the very least Telperion makes a brief cameo in LOTR, so while the creation myth is not there (and, in-world, probably long forgotten by anyone who is not an Elf and perhaps a few very keen scholars of history and Elf lore), the Trees are. Well, one Tree.