View Single Post
Old 09-29-2020, 03:37 PM   #288
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
This photo made my day. Honestly. I was having an absolutely foul morning, dreading the start of a new (disorganized, far away, not favourite by any means) rotation. And then you posted this, and both Finrod and Maglor were so on point that it just made everything better. Thanks for posting it!
^_^ Coping with work is essentially why I got the pin in the first place, though in my case it's More Paperwork I'm (always) dreading. What was yours? Because I bet it's more interesting to describe.

Quote:
Now I wanna get a pin like that. Except that all of my pins have a very short life, and usually end it by being brutally deformed and ripped from my bag after snagging on something. The Sil characters tend to already suffer enough, without a metaphorical re-enactment.
She's got Beren and Luthien too! We could do a pin-based Zong video.

Quote:
But in Zong-related news, you are not the only one who gets easily distracted! I was supposed to be preparing for my rotation yesterday. Instead...

Oath: the dress rehearsal, and sung for singability test, with no attempts to correct the off key bits. You can also tell that still my brain insists that blood in the veins can only turn anemic.
Hooray, hoorah! This is such a fun song.

Quote:
There are many variations in how exactly to sing it, even among the different performances. I think that the most difficult thing will actually be to agree on a timing/rhythm for each line for duo-ing if we can get someone to join you (possibly Legate again; no one else has responded to me so far - but if we're truly desperate, there is one more person I can try. I'll have to ask someone to ask someone to ask for his contact info though, I haven't seen him in a decade...).
I figure one of us can just sing along to the other; it's how I've recorded it as a duet with myself (yep, read on).

I may try and hunt down another vocalist elsewhere, though I'm not sure there are any over there. (Well, I am - if we needed more women!)

Quote:
- The middle part, with the Oath. Too quiet? I was going for something ethereal (holy?), not sure how that worked out.
It works. The one thing I'd query is the last two lines of it - "One single hope" etc. You've kept that in the same style, which means it's a very abrupt transition back to the rock parts.

Quote:
- The versions differ in how they sing the middle part. There is the V2 "sing the whole thing on one note" option. There is the "have it go one note higher, one note lower" option. And a couple of performances alternated between the two. The way it's written it can be sung any way, but I tried to match it to the way I was singing it: single note for first and third stanzas, alternating on second stanza. The pros of this approach are that it emphasizes each part anew, there's no endless repetition, and it highlights "Breath of the West Wind" more if you hit it from the lower constant note rather than the alternating ones which are closer to it. On the downside, it's probably harder to sing this way. Let me know what you think is a good balance for you in terms of sings well - I can alter the music to put a bit more cues in to help match that, maybe.
I think it works. 'Harder to sing' is not a problem; I can just rerecord random bits of lines.

Quote:
- I used an un-dirged and slightly un-heroed version of the first attempt for the last stanza, "one by one seven Oath-bound warriors fall". I think that one can go with a bit of despair/heroism, especially if now Cel'n'Cur kinda take over Mae'n'Mag. But if you think it's too much, I can tone it down some more.
- Speaking of that verse, I played around with the rhythm on "those who... those still... Oath will still". Is there a version that you particularly like or dislike? Or should I just make it all in unison?
I noticed no problems with any of this.

Quote:
- Do you think "Swear to this Oath" should be sung by CelnCur, or by someone else (ie one or more of the female crew)? I vote for it to be recorded separately, at least, so that it doesn't cut off the previous phrases short to draw breath.
- Actually, with regards to that line: "swear to this Oath" vs "sworn is the Oath"?
Yeah, I think it should be the chorus; I imagine it as being the only line of the other Sons of Feanor. I spent five minutes just now thinking about how it should go, but I do think "Swear to" is best - because it means "Sworn is the Oath though all Arda reject us" highlights the progress of time.

(I also flipped the first 'we vowed to you' back to 'vow', for the same reason; not that you can tell by listening...!)

... and!

The Oath: Rough Cut

This is very rough. Once again I haven't differentiated the voices, and the video is missing its title and credits, plus one effect inspired by V1 that I haven't gotten round to. Also the transition on Curufin's emblem got reversed for some reason (whoops!). And Curufin has the wrong colour border... yeah, I know, but! It's something at any rate. Perhaps I can clean it up tomorrow.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote