View Single Post
Old 07-09-2020, 02:12 PM   #39
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
Rhymes! I knew there was something I forgot. :O

Okay, I've gone back and made sweeping changes, and edited the post (no point throwing the whole thing out a second time). The first three sections all had their second lines changed; I've replaced the first 'O my king' section; the first line of the 'black banners' verse is changed; Thingol's love is now strong and proud (not strong and true); the 'love only once' line is changed; and I've changed the final 'O my king' a little (wrought > done). I'm not sure I like either of the last to O My Kings, but I can't think of a way to improve them. (As far as I can tell, they're not meant to rhyme with anything; they occasionally do, but that's just how language works.)
I must say I like this version better. I think it has better flow to it, and the rhymes do work now. I personally like the O my Kings (and I can confirm that they stand alone, they aren't really tied to the rhymes of the main verses). And "To love but once, that is our lot:" is actually a closer translation, I think - though I can't remember exactly how it was before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
The Surgeons Feanorion are amazing. My wife is a nurse; I think I will have to sing this at her. Given that they apparently do April Fools' Day performances of the musical, I can't help feeling the performers would approve. ^_^
That was a shameless mixing of some of my favourite things in life, Tolkien and Medicine. I loved doing it. ^.^