View Single Post
Old 07-06-2020, 04:35 AM   #13
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
EDIT: The Version 1 lyrics, with English translations that I think match the subtitles, are available online.
I can confirm that these are Version 1 subtitles. I keep complaining that they are inaccurate, but considering they were done by a person who speaks no Russian who just sat for hours in front of Google Translate trying to decipher something... it's impressive.

Still, I recommend Version 2 subtitles if you wanna understand the lyrics, because so much is lost in 1, or changed into something completely different. For instance, there is one line that bugs me in particular, in the Duel: the subtitles credit Sauron to saying "the world is cursed by that warmonger whose name is - Fëanor!", as if Feanor doesn't already get enough shade in that musical. What he really says is "A curse has entered this world, and its name is Feanor". So close, but so not close.

It's also interesting that you comment on a lot of lyrics stuff differently here, but the lyrics are exactly the same, minus a couple songs and switching "two" for "three" for the Feanorians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HS
The full Russian text of Version 2 - including the chords! - is also up.
This is actually beyond Version 2 and has even more recent updates and added songs, for which I was not able to find a recording on Youtube. Apparently the group that first did it is still going strong and performing the evolving version of the musical on stage, with some cast modifications (Sauron and Finrod are the same as Version 1, just 20 years older, but I think others are different).

Quote:
Hilariously, in this version his plan doesn't even solve anything: he wants one Son of Feanor to get Luthien and the crown of Nargothrond.
So, probably a translation issue; he wants to marry off one of them and crown the other, but you're right, it still leaves Caranthir with naught.

Quote:
I am sitting here with my mouth open at Emo Sauron. I love him!

Quote:
Thingol: What brought this about? Um, I think it was you…
Again, probably translation issue. He never actually says that. He echoes Melian saying "What have I done!", but it's not a question.

Quote:
Did I just not listen to this song before, or has it changed? Because now it's the Passing of the Elves. Interesting end! And I love the Ossiriand shots.
Same lyrics in Russian, probably vastly different in translation, but you're right: this is a LOTR-Galadriel, leaving the world to mortals. I like this version of the song better in execution than Version 2 though.

Quote:
And Sauron draws the curtain with a cackle. Delightful.
Heehee! I love that moment. Also, they have various behind-the-scenes and bloopers afterwards.