View Single Post
Old 01-09-2019, 02:42 PM   #9
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Grammatical issues: Thanks for spoting these.

Suggestions/questions:
1) Yes, we thought that the importance of that protection was not fully understood. I agree to the reordering.

2) ‘neglected’ does not mean that it was fully stopped. The meanings I found are ‘uncared-for’; ‘bedraggled’. While ‘cased’ and ‘unmanned’ suggest the final end guarding Mordor. At least that is how I saw these quotes. That why I don’t see a contradiction but step by step degeneration.

3) Agreed, very nice final result, but the editing should be a bit easier in this way:
Quote:
GHA-SL-13.5{The King and}<{when}In Gondor King Telemnar died within two years of the slaying of King Minardil by the Corsairs.> And all his children died, and great numbers of the people of Gondor, especially those that lived in Osgiliath. GHA-SL-14.5b<Heires of Elendil {They were descended, father to son, from} Hurin, Steward to King Minardil, {who had }laboured greatly for the ordering of the realm in the disastrous days of the plague{, when King Telemnar died within two years of the slaying of King Minardil by the Corsairs}. From that time on the kings usually chose their steward from this family, though a son did not necessarily succeed a father.> Then for weariness and fewness of men ...
4) I see your concerns, what about this:
Quote:
... Ondoher had only time to turn and face the assault with his right flank close to the Morannon, and to send word to Minohtar, GHA-SL-21b<based on the end notes the King’s sister-son,> Captain of the Right Wing behind, to cover his left flank as swiftly as he could, when the chariots and horsemen crashed into his disordered line. ...
5) Agreed.

Maybe we should as well move GHA-SL-29 and GHA-SL-30, since as they stand they are separating to connected narratives. I would move GHA-SL-29 to this place:
Quote:
In the meanwhile the Wainriders licked their wounds, and plotted their revenge. ... and an attack was prepared that should be made at the same time from north and south.
Little or nothing, of course, was known of these designs and movements in Gondor. ... But Gondor could do no more at that time than gather and train as great an army as it could find or afford. Thus when the assault came at last it did not find Gondor unprepared, though its strength was less than it needed.
GHA-SL-29b<Appendix A {Calimehtar, son of Narmacil II, helped by a revolt in Rhovanion, avenged his father with a great victory over the Easterlings upon Dagorlad in 1899, and for a while the peril was averted.} It was in the reign of Araphant in the North and of Ondoher son of Calimehtar in the South that the two kingdoms again took counsel together after long silence and estrangement. For at last they perceived that some single power and will was directing the assault from many quarters upon the survivors of Númenor. It was at that time that Arvedui heir of Araphant wedded Fíriel daughter of Ondoher (1940). But neither kingdom was able to send help to the other; for Angmar renewed its attack upon Arthedain at the same time as the Wainriders reappeared in great force.>
Ondoher was aware that his southern enemies were preparing for war, and he had the wisdom to divide his forces into a northern army and a southern. ...
And GHA-SL-30 should be put some where nearer to the greate plague, since that is mentioned at the end of the text. What about placing it directly before the sub heading FY-HL-06 The Northmen and the Wainriders?

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote