View Single Post
Old 12-29-2018, 09:38 AM   #9
ArcusCalion
Quentingolmo

ArcusCalion has just left Hobbiton.
1) This need wallet is mentioned in the following text 'The Sources of the legend of Isildur's death' which I did not include in this chapter because it contains many references to Aragorn and the Fourth Age. However, looking at it again, I think we can include it, or at least part of it. Here is my proposed inclusion:
Quote:
.... Arnor and Gondor, and in that age of the World the last.>

FY-HL-03.5
The Sources of the Legend of Isildur’s Death

DGF-SL-17 <UT There were eye-witnesses of the event. Ohtar and his companion escaped, bearing with them the shards of Narsil. The tale mentions a young man who survived the slaughter: he was Elendur's esquire, named Estelmo, and was one of the last to fall, but was stunned by a club, and not slain, and was found alive under Elendur's body. He heard the words of Isildur and Elendur at their parting. There were rescuers who came on the scene too late, but in time to disturb the Orcs and prevent their mutilation of the bodies: for there were certain Woodmen who got news to Thranduil by runners, and also themselves gathered a force to ambush the Orcs – of which they got wind, and scattered, for though victorious their losses had been great, and almost all of the great Orcs had fallen: they attempted no such attack again for long years after.
The story of the last hours of Isildur and his death was due to surmise: but well-founded. The legend in its full form was not composed until the reign of Elessar in the Fourth Age, when other evidence was discovered. Up to then it had been known, firstly, that Isildur had the Ring, and had fled towards tin River; secondly, that his mail, helm, shield and great sword (but nothing else) had been found on the bank not far above the Gladden Fields; thirdly, that the Orcs had left watchers on the west bank armed with bows to intercept any who might escape the battle and flee to the River (for traces of their camps were found, one close to the borders of the Gladden Fields); and fourthly, that Isildur and the Ring, separately or together, must have been lost in the River, for if Isildur had reached the west shore wearing the Ring he should have eluded the watch, and so hardy a man of great endurance could not have failed to come then to Lórien or Moria before he foundered. Though it was a long journey, each of the Dúnedain carried in a sealed wallet on his belt a small phial of cordial and wafers of a waybread that would sustain life in him for many days – not indeed the miruvor or the lembas of the Eldar, but like them, for the medicine and other arts of Númenor were potent and not yet forgotten. No belt or wallet was among the gear discarded by Isildur.>
2) Thank you, nice catch

3) I think this is most likely a slip on Tolkien's part, he clearly means the War of the Last Alliance.

Last edited by ArcusCalion; 12-29-2018 at 09:52 AM.
ArcusCalion is offline   Reply With Quote