View Single Post
Old 05-30-2018, 01:14 PM   #3
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
RP-SL-12: Sorry maybe it is to hot today over here in Europe, but hwhat is your suggestion here to keep the complete sentence or to remove it completely?

RP-SL-18: Okay.

RP-SL-21: If you think so we can go without, but I am not that sure.

RP-SL-28: The association with Amroth was as well my reason to prefer Amdír.

RP-SL-29: Agree and good catch, I missed that one.

RP-SL-35: Thanks for the hint, I will then take the original note to creat our text:
Quote:
... Lórien had then long years of peace and obscurity under the rule of its own king Amdír.
> RP-SL-35b<HoME 12 Of Dwarves and Men; Note 65 Gil-galad's people were mainly Noldorin; though in the Second Age the Elves of Harlindon were mainly Sindarin, and the region was a fief under the rule of Celeborn.>
RP-SL-36<The History of Galadriel and Celeborn To Lórien Celeborn and Galadriel returned
RP-SL-40 to RP-SL-45: As with the issue above I agree to use rather the original text instead of the summary of Christopher Tolkien and I also agree to lift it from Footnote into the text. I as well agree to your reasoning which story should be chosen and what should be combined from the second story. But I would as well take the Note from UT about the name on the maps. Thus we would get the following:
Quote:
… and their company was swelled by Nandorin Elves from Lórinand.> RP-SL-40b<HoME 12, Dwarves and Men The shores of the Bay of Belfalas were still mainly desolate, except for a haven and small settlement of Elves at the mouth of the confluence of Morthond and Ringló. RP-SL-41b <HoME 12, Dwarves and Men, Note 67 This according to the traditions of Dol Amroth had been established by seafaring Sindar from the west havens of Beleriand who fled in three small ships when the power of Morgoth overwhelmed the Eldar and the Atani; but it was later increased by adventurers of the Silvan Elves seeking for the Sea who came down the Anduin. RP-SL-43b <Vinyar Tengwar 42 There was already a primitive harbour there of fisherfolk, but these in fear of the Eldar fled into the mountains.> RP-SL-44b <The History of Galadriel and Celeborn; Amroth and Nimrodel, Note 18 [Footnote to the text: The place of the Elvish haven in Belfalas is marked with the name Edhellond ("Elf-haven{,}" RP-SL-45{ see the Appendix to The Silmarillion under edhel and lond}) on the maps.{decorated map of Middle-earth by Pauline Baynes; but I have found no other occurrence of this name. See Appendix D, p. 274. Cf. The Adventures of Tom Bombadil (1962), p. 8: "In the Langstrand and Dol Amroth there were many traditions of the ancient Elvish dwellings, and of the haven at the mouth of the Morthond from which 'westward ships' had sailed as far back as the fall of Eregion in the Second Age."}]> The Silvan Elves were Middle Elves according to the Númenórean classification, though unknown to the Atani until later days: for they were like the Sindar Teleri, but were laggards in the hindmost companies who had never crossed the Misty Mountains and established small realms on either side of the Vales of Anduin. (Of these Lórien and the realm of Thranduil in Mirkwood were survivors in the Third Age.) But they were never wholly free of an unquiet and a yearning for the Sea which at times drove some of them to wander from their homes.
>
RP-SL-46<Of the Rings of Power But Sauron gathered into his hands …
RP-SL-47: My reason was that Sauron is not actually said to take the Seven after he learned where Celebrimbor had hid them. On the contrary it is said that Celebrimbor gave the first of the Seven to Durin himself. So I had some doubt if not more than one of the Seven was given directly to the Dwarves by the Elves.
A secondary thought was that the Elves for sure never made the Rings for anyone else than themselves (why should they?) and that the dedication to the other free people was done by Sauron. But maybe I overdid it here, because you are right the dedication was done while Sauron made the One and created the Ring-poem that the Elves “heard” when he first set the One on his finger (it can as well be that the dedication was part of Saurons original plan that he concealed from the Elves). So I agree that we should simply let the text stand as it was. The Reader will remember that Celebrimbor had proberbly himself given the first of the Seven to Durin.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote