View Single Post
Old 11-17-2017, 06:46 PM   #41
Michael Murry
Haunting Spirit

Michael Murry is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The "Why" and the "What?"

Originally Posted by Kuruharan:

Quote:
I can just see Jackson already trying to work his way into the project. I fear that for the low knowledge corporate types he would seem like a big prize to score for the project since his name is already so heavily tied to the brand, they would think they are ensuring the success of the show by bringing him on board.
This seems like a rather inescapable -- if not implacable and inexorable -- observation. Consider, from Wikipedia:

Quote:
The [Hobbit] series was a major financial success, with the films classified as one of the highest-grossing film series of all time, going on to outgross The Lord of the Rings film trilogy. Although critically considered to be inferior to The Lord of the Rings, it was nominated for various awards and won several, though not as many as its predecessor

Budget
$675 million
Box office
$2.932 billion
More from Wikipedia:

Quote:
Television

On November 13, 2017, it was announced that Amazon had acquired the global television rights to The Lord of the Rings, committing to a multi-season television series. The series will not be a direct adaptation of the books, but will instead introduce new stories that are set before The Fellowship of the Ring. Amazon said the deal included potential for spin-off series as well.
We can clearly see the "why" of it all. I just shudder to think of the "what?"