View Single Post
Old 08-14-2005, 12:31 AM   #2154
Saelind
Pile O'Bones

Saelind has just left Hobbiton.
Thalion

Thalion stared down at the table, carefully avoiding Miz Bella's probing eyes. He had seen the hobbit lad at dinner the night before and had listened to Neviel's earnest tale about how much trouble Rory had encountered trying to navigate the steps of the Inn. It had crossed Thalion's mind that something might be done, but whether he would be the right person for the task he wasn't sure.

Thalion glanced over at Miz Bella and then looked distractedly out the window before clearing his throat and beginning to speak, "Yes, I have seen the lad. Last night in the common room. But whether he can be helped or not, I could not say. Once, on a trip beyond Mirkwood, right after the great war, I worked with one man from Dale, who had lost the use of his limbs due to illness. It took many weeks of work and a fine pair of braces made by one of the Dwarven cratsmen, but he did regain his ability to walk."

"There was an Elf here a short while ago," continued Thalion. "He was a fellow named Mithalwen, whom Neviel said had some interest in devising a pair of braces for the lad. My own skill with such things is limited. I would be glad to work with the boy in teaching him to walk again. The harder part would be the brace. I have never fashioned such a device."

"You would do it then? You would at least try?" Miz Bella pressed, with a trace of excitement in her tone.

"I would certainly be willing to speak with Rory's mother, and see if she would agree to have me look at the lad. And perhaps I can check if Mithalwen is still about or if someone else has the skill to devise a brace. More than that I cannot promise."

Miz Bella reached out a hand to thank the Elf, and voiced her thanks, "It is more than I could have hoped for. As a word of warning, you might want to speak with Camille as well as her mother. She's very protective of her brother. It might go better if you put her mind at ease." Miz Bella remembered how uncomfortable Camille had been to hear that Neviel was joining the class, but she thought it best to keep that point to herself at the present moment.

"I shall keep that in mind," Thalion replied. Then the Elf stood up and went back to his job of sorting out packets and vials of herbs.