View Single Post
Old 09-24-2003, 12:08 PM   #43
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Manardariel's post

29 October

Tim woke up with the distant feeling that he desperately had to do something. He feebly got up and slipped into a pair of pants and a shirt, when he remembered- he had to pack, for the trip. The adventure. As he splashed cold water in his face, he wondered what to pack. A pair of trousers, a shirt or two. The essential crossbow. What else did he need? Suddenly he felt very free. These two weeks would be wonderfully uncomplicated- no parties, no social commitments. No hangovers, no lasses giggeling wherever he went, no one asking him to live up to his reputation. Fool! he thought. What was happening with him. He liked his life. Everyone loved him. Looking at himself in the mirror, he tried to smile. But then he realized what was wrong. The question is not: do others like you? The question is: do you like yourself? The truth was; sometimes Tim detested the partying creature inside him, the boy who thought of nothing save for the playfullness. He looked outside. A strong scent wavered over the gardens, the smell of old apples, of nuts and leaves- the smell of autumn. He watched a squirrel hop around, collecting nuts. This squirrel had a purpuse. This squirel knew what it had to do, what it should be doing. Why couldn´t he be like that? Why couldn´t he be so free, and yet so determind. He sighed. Pondering did no good. He had to act. This adventure, these two weeks full of freedom were his chance. He would prove to the world that there was more to Tim Bracegirdle then blue eyes and dancing feet. Prove it to the world- and to himself.

He walked downstairs, ready for a nice breakfast- the last big one, he figuered. They´d be leaving by tomorrow, maybe even today. He had been too busy thinking about Lilly yeserday to listen what they´d discussed at the meeting. Something about responsiblity, it might have been. Ugh. Apart from the kind of “I hope you bring my daughter back in whole” thing, he´d never taken responsibty. He didn´t like the sound of it....it sounded so grown-up. And if there was one thing Tim didn´t want to be, it was grown up.

Someone appeared next to him. Dode was laughing, thumping his shoulder. “Here´s the heart thief, aye? Tim, Tim, you really must stop doing that-“ he started laughing again.
“And since when are lillies so sweet you want to smell them...with your mouth?!” Ilberic joined in. Exasperated, Tim watched them for a minute or so. Then he brusquely broke out of the group. Leave I must, and the sooner the better!

Later, he found himself sitting in the backyard, composing a letter. This was the only place where he could be alone. No Melody, no Dode, no fanclub...only he and his thought; and now a quill and parchment. He was writing to Lilly.

Dear Lilly,

I hope you are well. I enjoyed it very much yesterday, and when I fell asleep, the scent of lillies lingered in my nose. I do not know if you are aware of this, but we will not see each other for two weeks now. I am very sad about this, yet I cannot redeem it- I am going on an important mission for the Sir Paladin. It is about these ruffians, and about the courage that has seemed to have failed most of us hobbits. In truth, I myself was not sure if I should do this, but you gave me courage.

I would be very happy to see you upon my return.

With many regards,

Tim

He nodded, this was a good letter. Most of it was true, and no harm was done. He wasn´t planning on breaking Lilly´s heart. Laura won´t have me, but this girl will! He had told the truth: Lilly had given him courage that might have failed him otherwise. He walked to the road and handed the letter to a boy who was on his way to the village.

[ September 28, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]