View Single Post
Old 09-19-2008, 08:42 AM   #467
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendė View Post
It doesn't surprise me when characters in books (or indeed real people) say their image of God is like Gandalf - he's a kindly, wise old man, which is what people would quite like God to be (even though an African woman is as good as any guess); and the image of Gandalf is pervasive now - indeed I think Tolkien chose a Jungian archetype in the first place because you could make a right long list of 'folk who remind you of Gandalf'.
The reason that the author portrays God the Father as a woman is to intentionally shock the main character out of his preconceived notions regarding the Christian god.

Quote:
I wonder if their image was of Ian McKellen as Gandalf though? I always knew Lancastrians were the chosen ones
What I am wondering is, is the author a Tolkien fan, or did he see the movies and figure that everyone now would get the reference, or did he, expecting his readers to be mostly Christians (or have familiarity with that religion) to know that Tolkien was somehow related to Christianity?

I'm always hearing that "that Tolkien guy had something to do with that Christian apologist C.S. Lewis."