View Single Post
Old 02-06-2008, 08:35 AM   #3
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
Not sure if the Downs is really the place to discuss political stuff as comments may easily give rise to not so friendly reactions.
Well, if this were in Books, it might generate discussion of Tolkien's own political thoughts, particularly about how his stories present monarchial systems. Is The Shire the only community without a formal kingship? (Yes, I know it falls under Aragorn's domains, but The Shire functions without any day to day actual fealty to a king.)

On the other hand, this is in the Mirth section, so we'd best not proceed mirthlessly. That said, . . .

If the Presidency were a burden, as the One Ring was, we'd have to look for an unsuspected Bearer who freely volunteers himself (er, herself--let's be politically correct). And we'd have to identify who might, Boromir-like, want to take up the Ring 'cause it belongs in the family, so to speak. And we'd have to watch out for a Gollem who pathetically pines after his Precious. And who would play Faithful Sam?

We could also consider which primary race resembles which great battle. Or, for example, would the Paths of the Dead mean that deceased voters actually had a legal vote?

And if Oprah is a king-maker, who does that make her in Middle-earth? Frankly, I've never been able to decide if she is, because of her appetite and weight problem, Shelob-like, or if, because of how she has so successfully created a marketable vehicle for herself, she ressembles Galadriel.

And we do have a White Tower and a White House. Shall we have a Steward or a Return of the King?

Is this the sort of thing Tolkien would have put in his pipe to smoke?