View Single Post
Old 01-30-2003, 01:22 PM   #341
Schmendrick
Wight

Schmendrick has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

” The whole story?” Durmán repeated, and all of a sudden it looked like all colour had escaped his face. He opened his hand, where the silvery necklace still lay, as if asking counsel from it. He almost wanted to share the story with someone, finally, and he was starting to trust the lady. But he feared there might be other ears listening.
“This story is too long to be told here, and of little interest to anyone else but myself I fear, but I will tell you something.”

He leaned closer to the woman and started: ” My mother is of high family in Dol Amroth, distantly related to the Prince himself. Elewanda is her name. In her youth he fell in love with my father, Bergil, a wild and solitary ranger. However, her father did not approve of their love and one night they escaped to lead a life in the wild. There I was born.

Some years passed, and my mother started getting restless. She had been hasty making her decision, and the life in the wild was starting to bore her. She asked for my father’s permission to go to visit her family in Dol Amroth and promised to be back in two week’s time. But she never returned. This drove my father crazy. He took me with him – I was only 11 at the time - and rode to Dol Amroth, to claim her back, but we were not let to enter. In his wild fury he killed one of the guards.” Durmán paused. His eyes had grown dark. “Do you still want me to continue?”