View Single Post
Old 04-20-2023, 07:39 AM   #617
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Yeah, ignore everything I said before. I like the stylized art over the backdrops - and I like the first version over the contrasty version, though I can't quite see what the difference is. I like how it looks in the videos, and I agree that it's a smoother look than the melange of media.
Yay! We can probably use the pencil drawings in the credits, which you suggested for the original digital drawings waaaay back. I did some fixing on Galadriel for the run but will work on her again before the Epilogue.

Quote:
Agree. Finrod is a touch too loud in Lament, Luthien could stand to be quieter in Meeting. And yes, the songs are totally different volumes and that is partially my fault - something like Dream is all written in the mezzo's and pianos, while Oath volumes range from forte to fortissimo. The former would need to be Audacity fixes, but the latter could perhaps just be audio file volume adjustment? If it comes to it, the latter isn't so bad, so if it's difficult to fix I do wonder if it would be tolerable.
I went through the run at work a week or so back and jotted notes on what I think needs to be fixed, including singer volume, balancing tracks against each other, and the gaps between songs. None of it looks too tricky, so I'll put together a second pass At Some Point.

Quote:
Luthien does sing "love is the only oath", and I thought we had it as such in the Showdown already.
Basically ignore everything I said here; I think I was working on old memories of the lyrics.

Quote:
Oooooo... More urgent question, also on the basis of V1 / V2 differences - when Melian sings Madness, do you think the Feanorians ought to keep going with their echoes (your land will fall down into shadow etc)? May affect how I score that part. Though I kinda rather like the musical aspect of them, so might keep a semblance regardless.
Just compared versions, and I feel like they kind of overwhelm the end of the song in V1? Partly that's the balance (and the fact that there's three of them and only one Melian), but... ultimately I don't know, and defer to you on the music front.

Quote:
A quick post with an update on Hate - up until "Oh my king". I am really excited about the song now, I feel like it's growing well.
It's really good! I've just head-bopped along to it as my desk, it really carries the feel of the piece. I like the different ways you've handled the different singers, specifically including the lack of Melian's melody. It's good!

Quote:
For the Madness part, I did a lot of thinking because V1 and V2 do it quite differently. I thought that one way could be to score and sing the Madness trio as in V2, but rather than a cut to black as in Aria (because this is not a raging Melian but more a lamenting one) I can repeat just the music of Madness but in V1 style, as a way to fade the song out. Basically - first time sung, second time just musical repetition. What do you think?/
We feed into Captivity, so yes, a long fade-out would work here - it lets me fade the visuals across gradually and draw the link between the two (it's not just Finrod and co who are held captive...)

Quote:
Also, I have a sinking feeling that I may have screwed up the hyperlinks and given you the wrong version of Appeal, but I still need to verify that. Uuuhhh... Before you're ready to produce a final copy of Act 1, I can just re-record it to be sure.
Not sure. The link was called something like "rev 2", but it also matched the previous file I had, as far as I could tell. That might just mean I re-sang it somewhere along the way but never sorted the video.

hS