View Single Post
Old 08-21-2022, 04:01 PM   #359
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog View Post

I'm watching Rings of Power, and likely going to enjoy it. It is in no way going to "destroy" Tolkien's works any more than Ralph Bakshi's or Peter Jackson's treatment of Lord of the Rings "destroyed" Tolkien's works. My books have been, are, and will be the same no matter what, and I will enjoy every reading I have of them.

All this rabid ranting and raving about it in some attempt to try and "destroy" Rings of Power is amusing to a point, and tiresome to be sure. It is nice that there are places on the internet that gets over the whole 'woke bs' mentality and gets on to discussing the show and the depth of the Second Age timeline of events.

If you hate it so bad, then boycott Amazon. Put your money where your mouth is. Good luck in your campaign to get others to do so. Me, I'm not out a cent because I watch other content on Prime and my wife uses the free shipping for a lot of stuff.
More than anything, what I resent about this "book that Tolkien never wrote" is its tired and tiresome genericism, its utter and complete lack of anything even resembling creativity or personality. We've all seen it all before, seen these characters, heard these lines:* it's Screen Factory Fantasy Product Sludge #9. If Tolkien is gorau glas, this is Cheez Whiz. The Tolkien branding fits it about as well as a Rolls-Royce grill on a VW Beetle (without the ironic humor). So before we ever even get to questions of weapons or costumes or skin color or actors-who-need-to-shut-up, we have already violated the First Commandment of Tolkien Adaptation: Thou shalt not suck.

So I'm not worried about Tolkien's books being "damaged" - except to the extent that a future generation might go "The Lord of the Rings?" You mean what that turgid, tawdry Amazon tripe was based on? No, thank you." But I'm certainly not going to waste my time watching it -- unless it's someday featured on MST3000...
__________________________________________________ ________
*The ones in the latest trailer are practically examples from the manual, 101 Portentous and Weighty-Sounding Declarations for Talentless Hack Screenwriters

Last edited by William Cloud Hicklin; 08-21-2022 at 04:09 PM.
William Cloud Hicklin is offline   Reply With Quote