View Single Post
Old 07-13-2020, 10:26 AM   #182
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dūm

The Sixth Wizard has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to The Sixth Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigūr View Post
An oversight akin to Balin's sarcophagus naming him in Dalish/Northern Mannish as "Balin" son of "Fundin" rather than the Khuzdul translations of "Balin" and "Fundin", perhaps.
Tolkien says that the dwarves didn't even inscribe their true names on their tombs. It's at the end of section 1 in Appendix F of LOTR.

Interesting map, by the way. I didn't realise that Numenor was so far south. It makes sense now why Umbar was so important, and why the survivors sailed up the Anduin river if this map is accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhun charioteer View Post
It's got potential, I remain curious how successfully or not they will pull it off.
The main obstacle in my eyes is that there is no source dialogue to draw from, which will affect the tone of the writing dramatically. No screenwriter could hope to match the gravitas of an Oxford linguistics professor writing in multiple invented languages in the 1930s. The reason that LOTR worked so well in film was that there were 1000+ pages to draw from, hardly any really dramatic lines had to be written.

Last edited by The Sixth Wizard; 07-13-2020 at 10:31 AM.
The Sixth Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote