View Single Post
Old 11-17-2003, 05:10 PM   #67
Theron Bugtussle
Wight

Location: Blowing the froth off a couple in this quaint little pub in Michel Delving.
Theron Bugtussle has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I suspect that political and religious viewpoints influence folks almost as much as modern vs classic viewpoints on the topic at hand.

My take on Victorian-era sensibilities and hypocrisies is that the culture valued or prized ideals that individuals could not always live up to, all of them being of a fallen race. However, because the ideals were prized, people identified with them and sought after them more openly, it would seem. Christian missionary work, the ending of the practice of black slavery, establishment of hospitals and all sorts of aid societies are perhaps good examples. That was a powerful era of British world influence, and not just political.

And today's society is more skeptical yet more utopian (an unreachable idealism, rather than practical idealism). So people think that an event like Band-Aid or such is actually doing something for someone, rather than just salving the musicians' and promoters' (and media members') consciences that they are so rich but have so little impact on good vs evil. And we think to ourselves, aren't we compassionate!

I conclude that one's worldview does indeed have much to say on how or if one will perceive the incredible depth of character in Tolkien's writings. (However poorly I may have expressed it.)