View Single Post
Old 12-07-2018, 05:45 AM   #7
gandalf85
Wight

gandalf85 has just left Hobbiton.
I took a look at the chapter, I don't have many comments. Regarding the previous discussion in this thread, I like Findegil's idea that "Translations" should be complementary to "LotR" and if possible, shouldn't cannibalize large sections from the appendices. I realize this may be impractical for some sections, I like Findegil's suggestion of mining from the early drafts if we can. A few other comments/general questions about the project:

1) For us super nerds, it is obvious that Durin was a king of the Longbeards. But it may not be obvious to a general audience. I'm assuming Bilbo would want his "Translations" to be accessible and informative to a general audience. Is this a goal of the project? The first paragraph discusses During without any mention that he was the King of the Longbeards. I suggest the following small change:

Quote:
Durin was the name of one of the fathers of all the race of the Dwarves, and the ancestor of all the kings of the {Long-beards}[Longbeards].
I think this addition sets up the rest of the chapter in a nicer way. It does cannibalize a small section of the appendix of LotR, but only a very small section.

2) This chapter has a ton of footnotes, and from what I've seen of the other drafts, they do not have as many footnotes. Do we have some "in-universe" explanation for why this chapter has no many footnotes? Who added the footnotes? Bilbo himself? Or maybe Gimli? Or one of the other hobbits at the bidding of Gimli? I remember we decided not to use a frame-narrative to discuss where the different texts came from, but maybe in the case of footnotes we should add in some comment of where these came from.
gandalf85 is offline   Reply With Quote