Thread: A new Downer
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2007, 01:53 PM   #70
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
I was told right away that an epidural was the sensible choice as it was going to hurt more than normal otherwise so I took it gladly - I was scared but the brisk and sarcastic manner of the anaesthetist made me laugh and thankfully she did a good job.
I think that the reason we have four is so that my wife could finally experience childbirth with an epidural...
  • Child 1 - How bad can the pain be?
  • Child 2 - Preeclampsia complicated labor and birth, and so the anesthesiologist said no, after putting the needle in my wife's back.
  • Child 3 - We rushed to the hospital - Ms. alatar suggesting I run every light and signal as the baby was about to be born in the car - so when we get to the hospital, we tell the nurses that the baby is about to be born. Experts that they are, knowing that we were just another couple of clueless parents, figured that we could wait in one of the pre-labor rooms. We also stressed that, being aware of the epidural 'window,' that we were keen on getting one immediately. This was met with a yawn. So after a few minutes in the pre-room, I went out and asked a nurse for some gloves and some scissors. She asked why, and I said, "Well, I don't want to contaminate the baby when I cut the cord (the baby hadn't come yet, but it was close)". Suddenly we were rushed to the birthing room amidst apologies and after a few minutes - Ms. alatar try as she might to 'hold it' - we had child #3, missing yet again the epidural. Note that Ms. alatar gave birth a mere 45 minutes upon me dropping her off at the hospital door, and that's due to her trying to hold out for the epidural.
  • Child 4 - We got to the hospital a little earlier this time, and, after explaining to the nurses our prior experiences, got an epidural shortly after arriving.

After experiencing four such events, I can't see Tinúviel or Arwen going through the same ordeal.