View Single Post
Old 10-09-2007, 09:24 PM   #17
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc
Actually, I was also convinced that the Dwarves reached maturity at the age of 50 and have no clue from where I have it, (but surely not from HoME); and personally I am inclined to believe that it indeed is somewhere - though now I don't know where. Maybe I am mistaken. But the fact that Lommy said it as well makes me more convinced of that it's not just from my head. Dáin was 32 years old at Azanulbizar, and what he did was considered a great deed because he was indeed young. But why have I for ten years (or how long) thought that the Dwarves are mature in 50? Sorry, cannot help it I have to look at the subject.
I bet you it has something to do with the fact that Gimli, in "The Quest for Erebor" in Unfinished Tales, says that the reason that he did not go on the quest in The Hobbit was that he was considered too young--though he was already over fifty (sixty-two is what I want to say... but I could be pulling that number out of thin air, given that I'm not looking it up). Mind you, it doesn't say that he was underage, but it does seem that Glóin and others thought he was still a bit of a wild youngster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhand
Maybe...maybe not. That would be like someone today living to be 170 or something crazy.
Well, you never know. If you say that the normal lifespan of a human is about eighty, and you consider that one hundred fifteen is about 140% of that lifetime, then 340 as a lifetime compared with a norm of 250 would be comparable--which, I suppose, would clearly make Dwalin at about the uppermost possible limit for a Dwarf, about as likely as you or I living to be 115 (under current healthcare and such): within in the realm of human possibility, but highly unlikely.