View Single Post
Old 08-13-2022, 05:39 AM   #6
Arvegil145
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arvegil145 has just left Hobbiton.
Genealogy of the Vanyar

I believe that this subforum considers Indis as the niece of Ingwe, as per 'The Shibboleth'.

However, there is a note (note 53) to the Shibboleth, that, given the new information in the Nature of Middle-earth, is particularly interesting:

When Aragorn, descended in long line from Elros, wedded Arwen in the third union of Men and Elves, the lines of all the Three Kings of the High Elves (Eldar), Ingwë, Finwë, and Olwë and Elwë were united and alone preserved in Middle-earth.

Which indicates that, at least according to this note, Indis is supposed to be a descendant of Ingwe, and not just related to him.

After that, CT follows:

As is said in the text at this point Arwen was descended from Finwë both in the line of Fingolfin (through Elrond) and in the line of Finarfin (through Celebrían); but she was also descended from Elwë (Thingol) through Elrond's mother Elwing, and through Galadriel's mother Eärwen from Olwë of Alqualondë. She was not directly descended from Ingwë, but her fore-mother Indis was (in earlier texts) the sister of Ingwë (X.261-2, etc.), or (in the present work, p. 343) the daughter of his sister. It is hard to know what my father had in mind when he wrote the opening of this note.

However, given the fact that in the NoME, Indis is the daughter of Ingwe (and Ilwen) and a sister of Ingwion, this suggests to me that Tolkien might have reverted back to this (or, at any rate, a similar) version.

Moreover, I believe that it makes more (poetic) sense for Indis (and her many descendants) to actually be descended from Ingwe himself - but that's just my personal preference.

I think this might just be enough to at least reconsider the subject.

Last edited by Arvegil145; 08-20-2022 at 01:53 PM.
Arvegil145 is offline   Reply With Quote