View Single Post
Old 05-28-2021, 07:00 AM   #475
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
I mean... Beren achieved all his goals. Turin failed at everything he attempted in Nargothrond.
I mean, he kind of failed everything he attempted ever. But yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
Swarn. He's swarn. ^_~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
I've just read over the Nargothrond section of The Children of Hurin, and... Turin doesn't come across at all well. Ignoring all the complaining about his name, it goes like this:

Turin in Nargothrond is at his most obstinate and glory-hungry. He's about half a step from pressing his hands over his ears and going 'lalala, can't hear you' to literal messengers from the gods. He also takes over the city, which isn't a good precedent to be following.

Turin in Brethil, or Doriath, or with his outlaws, is a conflicted character. Turin with Finduilas is going through emotional angst. Turin as a warrior of Nargothrond, though? He's just straight trouble.
Fair. Probably his most unpleasant too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
IE, unless the Eagles or Ulmo habitually brought gossip over from Aman, Beren and Luthien are the only logical source for the news.
Well, aside from the War of Wrath itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
Would Finrod have gone with the Host of the Valar? I think probably yes! Silm implies that Finarfin led the Noldor host, and it's hard to imagine his reconciled son - who is also the most experiences soldier in the land - not going along. (Does this mean there was another family squabble when Galadriel refused to sail West...?)
And here I was thinkjng that Galadriel hasn't seen her family for 3 Ages...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
I really enjoy the 'Beren goes walkabout' scenes; for the longest time I had difficulty imagining the Valar any other way, and it's still my go-to mental image. The presence of the dead Trees in "Wind" is a direct reference to the conversation on the Corollaire, of course.
The conversation on the Corollaire is beauty. Love it.

Also, just got to Edrahil's development as tempter of mortal maidens (:-D), and his offer of restarting clean with Maiwe... ow. That was rough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
I think I asked way back but don't remember the answer: the 'darkened dome' line. It's very powerful, but... what does it mean?

It means I needed a rhyme for "home"? ^.^ The Russian there says "You passed the border of enchantment from the side of night and darkness". That reminds me more of Doriath than Nargothrond, tbh. I figured "darkened dome" can mean anything fron "night sky" to whatever abstraction you prefer... and it rhymes. ^.^

Edit: xed with the last. It's been a while sjnce I said that.