View Single Post
Old 02-25-2008, 11:03 AM   #20
Gordis
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gordis is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArathornJax View Post
As far as the bridge, yes it is there. It would have been part of the original city since the heart of the city was in the middle of the river. A non-fan would not know that though who watched the movie for the first time. I guess one could assume it was repaired. The book makes it clear the initial attack is done with a build up of barges and boats. Quick repair on a stone bridge I guess. Perhaps in a the next version they can make it have a platoon section in the middle.
Now it set me thinking... I doubt not that the original bridge in Isildur's times and in the times of the Kings was made of stone. But what about the last (Denethor's) bridge? Likely most of it was made of wood - wooden construction resting on the ancient stone pillars. In Ecthelion's and Denethor's times, with Sauron gathering strength in Mordor, it was quite likely that the Gondorians would one day be compelled to destroy the bridge. And indeed it has happened on June 20, 3018.
But how could the Gondorians destroy a stone bridge in a matter of hours? Remember, they had no explosives - only the "bad guys" did. So, the bridge was likely wooden and Boromir and Faramir simply burned it.
But then, it was not that difficult for the Witch-King's troops to repair the bridge to allow the passage of Grond and siege towers and the cavalry.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote