View Single Post
Old 03-15-2007, 01:53 AM   #120
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
The world was fog for Jenfried. There was a throbbing, tearing pain in her left shoulder. The pain took everything. She was vaguely aware of laying on the ground, her face to the dirt and the little stones against her body. There were some distant yells and clashes of weapons. There was a faint smell that reminded her of grass and blood.

She could not concentrate. She was unable to think about almost anything. Only one thought swam in the pools of her pain: Will I die? Will this be the end of my miserable, short life?

The noises were fading. There was still shouting, but this was different... It was like... like Arunga shouting to Théodfara after he had dropped the honey pot... or like mum when Jen had brought her the dead rat family so many years ago...

Someone grabbed her shoulder and turned her around. Some dark shape was between her and the starry sky. "Who are you? What are you doing here? Why did you attack us!?" the foggy shadow demanded. But it was not a shadow anymore. Through the tears of pain blurring her eyes she could recognise the shape of a young man. An extraordinarily beautiful young man with very deep and shining eyes.

Like Elves in the fairytales and histories, she thought, oh, am I having hallucinations?

"Who - are - you?" the man spelled slowly and impatinetly. His voice was eeriely melodic. "My name is Jen", she replied. The man looked at her with a puzzled, angry face. Only then did she realize that she had uttered the words in her mother tongue, rohirric, not in the common tongue the man was speaking. "My name is Jen", she said again, now in the speech of the western lands. Before the man could make any reply, she asked: "Are you an elf?"

Last edited by Thinlómien; 03-16-2007 at 05:07 AM.