View Single Post
Old 10-14-2004, 02:34 PM   #37
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
I'm only up to post 13 in this thread, but before I forget-- there have been many comparisons between Treebeard and Old Man Willow; but to me, Old Man Willow seems much less like an Ent to me, and much more like a Huorn. His "Devouring" of Merry and Pippin is analogous to the Huorns devouring orcs. The Huorns move, but underground, sort of swimming through it; they don't "walk" like Ents do.

Interesting that Merry and Pippin, the Devoured ones, were the ones to go on to Fangorn.

(In contrast to Ted Sandyman, I do believe Sam's friend/cousin/whatever *did* see an Ent, 'walking'....)

OK, back to reading....

Davem wrote:
Quote:
in the dreamlike air of the Old Forest, which seems to exist in a state between dreaming & waking.
....."Faerie". Yes, you do go on to spell that out... GOod stuff.

Davem also wrote:

Quote:
And Frodo is the great dreamer, the one who is always half dreaming throughout his early life in the Shire, & who is most at home in the dreamworld of Middle Earth beyond the Shire's borders, who only seems to wake up once he leaves, & feels he is 'falling asleep again' when he returns home.
YES!!! That is the best explaination for that line I have yet found; well said. Thanks for pulling that together.

Quote:
Frodo, it seems, never truly belongs in 'our' waking world - perhaps, like Galahad, he has been born solely to perform his task of taking the Ring to the Fire, & then departing back to the world of dreams.
More Wow.

Last edited by mark12_30; 10-14-2004 at 02:48 PM.
mark12_30 is offline   Reply With Quote