View Single Post
Old 09-24-2004, 01:07 AM   #22
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
The danger of eros is that its inherent passivity can allow evil to dominate. Éowyn says it well ("The Steward and the King", RotK):
Quote:
It needs but one foe to breed a war, not two, Master Warden. And those who have not swords can still die upon them. Would you have the folk of Gondor gather you herbs only, when the Dark Lord gathers armies?
The ultimate goal of personal development is not delegating one or the other element to a partner, but learning to integrate both within one's self to achieve balance. The same chapter quoted above shows how Aragorn has accomplished that; the Warden says:
Quote:
A great lord is that, and a healer; and it is a thing passing strange to me that the healing hand should also wield the sword.
An example of the danger of eros is Radagast; had he alone of the wizards been influential in the War of the Ring, it would have been lost.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote