View Single Post
Old 07-27-2004, 01:48 AM   #8
Fingolfin II
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Fingolfin II has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Aiwendil said:

Quote:
This is the first real adventure chapter in the book; so far we have had the Black Riders appear threateningly from time to time, but that threat has not yet been realized.
Quite so. This is the start of the adventure where the hobbits find themselves in an unfamiliar (except for Merry) situation and have to deal with it themselves- very reminiscent of Bilbo and the dwarves being left to their own devices in Mirkwood after Gandalf left them. Both companies faced a dangerous, uninviting forest and both had no one else to guide them but a path and uncertain knowledge. This quote, I believe, sums up the situation perfectly-

Quote:
Fail- even as he said the word his voice faded into silence. The air seemed heavy and the making of words wearisome. Just behind them a large branch fell from an overhanging tree with a crash into the path. The trees seemed to close in before them.
'They do not like all that about ending and failing,' said Merry. Wait till we do get to the edge, and then we'll turn and give them a rousing chorus!'
He spoke cheerfully, and if he felt any great anxiety, he did not show it. The others did not answer. Thye were depressed. A heavy weight was settling steadily on Frodo's heart, and he regretted now every step forward that he had ever thought of challenging the menace of the trees.
Seem familiar? This is an interesting passage, because we see here that Merry is the leader of the hobbits, both geographically and mentally, and it is he who is trying to rouse their spirits, instead of Frodo, who is the older hobbit. This is the start not only of the hobbit's real adventures, but their personal character and determination is also being tested here- will they have the strength to go on, or will they turn back? Even though Bombadil rescues them, and they get into a few scrapes, it is what underpins the rest of the book- will they go on with their Quest to destroy the Ring or will they turn back and leave it for others. Here they still have a choice, but it is notable that they choose to go on; as they do later in the book.

Also, this passage seems to be a prelude, or taste, of Fangorn Forest later on in the book. The same type of forest, with dangerous creatures (i.e. Old Man Willow) and wild rivers, as well as trees that can move and 'talk', besides being an extension of Fangorn near the Shire, anyway, the Old Forest on the borders of Buckland sets up nicely what is going to be a major factor later on- Fangorn Forest- although we don't know it yet.

Tom Bombadil and Treebeard also seem to have a lot in common with me- both old, interested in nature (an understatement) and knowledgeable about the Elder Days.

Even at the very start, we can see that Tom is a very merry and kind fellow by assisting all the hobbits-

Quote:
Tom Bombadil burst out laughing. 'Well, my little fellows!' said he, stooping so that he peered into their faces. 'You shall come home with me! The table is all laden with yellow cream, honeycomb, and white bread and butter.'
Inviting four strangers (however harmless they appear) is not something most people would do. But then again Tom is not most people; he already appears to be a friendly and lively character and we can infer from his speech that Goldberry is his misteress. Another thing that certainly shows us that Tom is not normal is his (mostly) utterly weird, but lovable, songs!

Quote:
And with that song the hobbits stood upon the threshold, and a golden light was all about them.
As Estelyn said this quote is indeed very evocative, and keeps us interested in what is going to happen next, as it is a statement leading up to learning more about Tom and Goldberry, if you know what I mean.

Now let the song begin! Let us sing together
Of sun, stars, moon and mist, rain and cloudy weather,
Light on the budding leafe, dew on the feather,
Wind on the open hill, bells on the heather,
Reeds by the shady pool, lillies on the water:
Old Tom Bombadil and the River-daughter!

Delightful.