View Single Post
Old 06-30-2004, 01:25 PM   #37
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe Simply elaborating on points already made...

Quote:
The ring had given him power according to his stature.
Quote:
Rather than overwhelming a person's will, the ring in fact works through a person's temperament. The ring reaches Bilbo through his delight in pranksmanship and so Bilbo is less prone to cruelty, whereas the Ring gains power over Smeagol through inciting his avarice and tendency to violence. Gandalf would in fact be made to use his pity and mercy to dominate others. Perhaps a better way to think of the Ring's influence is not that it dominates the wearer's will but that it perverts the will to achieve Sauron's intent?
I believe this is one thing that can reveal a 'character' to the Ring. It is as cunning as its master, and as good at finding evil where it already lies. Sauron used the greed of Men to turn them to darkness, and the divisions between Elvenkind and Mankind to separate the power of the Free Peoples. The Ring clearly is a manifestation of evil, which is truly the evil found in the hearts of the beings of Middle-Earth. This is where a battle between good and evil begins. Not the ideal of angels vs. devils, but the real thing: beings fighting the evil within them. As Frodo stands before the Cracks of Doom, that fight comes to a pinnacle, as he makes his choice.

Although this choice is obviously contrary to the one he makes in this Chapter, Frodo must constantly remake his decision throughout the book. This makes the battle of good vs. evil even more realistic, as it is not made in one act. Referring to the belief in an apocalypse, it seems that this battle, in truth, rages on into eternity. Even the title of the Chapter brings this to attention. 'The Shadow of the Past' A shadow has fallen on the land, and the Wise are aware of Sauron's power growing. And now they discuss the Shadow that was in the past, and also the Shadow of the future (I'd love to add more to that part, but that will have to wait until we get to Lorien. )

Quote:
So the Ring turns a person's innate tendencies towards evil
I just wanted to quickly bring up the fact that the Catholic religion teaches that a human beings tendencies are toward evil, because of the sin that's in the world. But good is there, of course. Just something to consider, as Tolkien was a Catholic, and anyone could think of it that way, separate of a religion.

-Durelin

EDIT: Cross-posted with Nova, otherwise I would have elaborated on some more points... A vicious circle, it is...

Last edited by Durelin; 06-30-2004 at 01:29 PM.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote