View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 11:44 PM   #19
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
[QUOTE=skip spence;622258]Yeah you're right, spirituality is a better word to describe it.

Well, I wasn't meaning to suggest just a better word, but a concept that might be more encompassing for what exists in LotR. What is it that prompts Frodo to accept the burden of carrying the Ring? What is it that prompts Sam to accompany him? What helps Eowyn recover? I think this is a very interesting question to ask about Middle-earth, and I tried to rep the thread but alas I haven't been generous enough since last I repped you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethberry
Whether Elrond and Galadriel share it is, in my opinion, a bit doubtful as the elves tend to be very inward--read 'self'--oriented, despite their clear concern for history and art and the battle with Sauron.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip spence View Post
Here I would disagree though. For reasons I think I explained above, I would almost equate wisdom with this spirituality you speak of, and they, together with Gandalf, are the wisest people about.
Well, it depends on which book we are discussing, LotR, The Silm, etc., because the elves differ very much in those two books.

The elves have failed in LotR. Despite all the wisdom--ie, knowledge of ancient times--we are told they have, their time is passing and while they can support and aid Frodo's journey to destroy the Ring, their presence in Middle-earth is doomed. Gandalf might indeed be a pillar of wisdom, but that is because he seems able to understand what is or might be necessary to accomplish his role. Widsom can also mean awareness to understand what is needful, and by that meaning, Frodo caps them all. But perhaps this is straying away from your point about the lack of formal religious observances.