View Single Post
Old 10-07-2005, 12:25 PM   #90
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanaduial the archer
I thought the slave commander would be the crew man in charge of the slaves, the master of the slaves, rather than a slave himself? That was how I had imagined a slave commander would be...
Well, the original description of the part was a bit vague on this point, and I have to admit that spending a game wearing a loincloth, screaming at slaves and hitting them with a heavy piece of wood did not have a lot of appeal to me. A rebellious and powerful slave, on the other hand, holds a lot more appeal. I floated two possible 'takes' on the character by Pio and Perky and they said that a slave commander who was himself a slave was fine by them.

This has historical precedence, actually. Slaveowners have always allowed some slaves to rise 'above' their fellows to act as foremen: it was a way of maintaining control by giving them some hope -- do as you are told, and you can have some benefits; rebel and you'll be chained to that oar forever...

So now perhaps I'm getting a new take on my character: perhaps someone in this 'in-between' space???

Spawn: I like your idea of having the game begin with my guy being moved into the 'seat' next to your guy. If you want to go ahead and begin your post (as mine will take a few days to work out, at least) then perhaps you could end it with your character moving into the better seat and wondering who will join him. Then my post will be about the events that lead to my character being chained there.

EDIT

I'm really liking this idea of my character as being a slave who has been 'elevated' at some point. Right now I'm thinking that he will be someone who has been a slave all his life, but who has some special talent which 'won' the masters' favour, allowing him a respite from the slave hold. He would have used his greater freedom to help the other slaves as much as possible (smuggling them bits of food etc) but something's happened (he was caught planning a slave revolt?) that has got him back in chains... This would explain why the other slaves look up to him, but it would give Eorl's character Ferethor yet another reason to resent my own, insofar as it would be easy to see my guy as a patsy to the masters.

One thing's for sure, Aman's going to have to watch her back

Last edited by Fordim Hedgethistle; 10-07-2005 at 12:29 PM.