View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 11:59 PM   #3118
Ardent
Wight

Ardent has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendė View Post
High Speed Rail lines, ripping up dozens of ancient woodlands and the lovely green English countryside, and taking away people's businesses and homes, all so someone can get to a meeting or go and spend their money in London ten minutes more quickly than they already can. When we can't afford it in the first place. And there's nobody to vote for who will stop it all. It should be in Orthanc really because it's truly Sarumanian, but it's got more shades of Sauron because of having no say in the matter.
I would put this kind of bullying down to Mordor too, Saruman's scouring of Isengard and The Shire being echoes of the desolation of Sauron and Smaug.
I worked for a local Wildlife Group at the time when Thatcher-the-Dark was pushing through development of Buisness Parks on green-field sites. We did help to preserve a few SSSI's with rare orchids or newts living in them, but the urban farm (Merry Hill Farm) went the way of Sandyman's Mill.

However, I'm not sure why I assign this to Mordor. The idea that one gets no vote is hardly an objection because no-one in ME, outside the White Council, got a vote either. Even at the meeting of the races in Rivendell it was Council members Elrond and Gandalf who had the last word, and the occupants of Lorien did not consult with Nimrodel before moving into her home.

When we complain that our voice has not been heard aren't we simply complaining like Boromir:

"Will you not at least let me make trial of my plan? Lend me the Ring!"