View Single Post
Old 08-23-2007, 02:42 AM   #132
Dunwen
Wight

Dunwen has just left Hobbiton.
Morm and all,

This is what I was thinking of for my next post, in the quote below. My original idea is that Sam heard one of Kuric's mutterings and is responding to that. However, if what I have below won't work with the story, let me know -- I'll be happy to edit. I'll wait till somebody tells me to post it or edit it.
--Dunwen

Quote:
"Volunteer to look good, is all they're doing and then when danger looks at them they put their tail between their legs and run. Bah!" Kuric spat.

Sam frowned. He wouldn’t be much of a hobbit if he didn't stick up for his friend.

“If I was you, Master Dwarf,” he said firmly, “I wouldn’t be so hasty to judge people. I’ve known Eric for twenty years and there’s no cowardly streak in him. But if he came with us and got hurt or worse, his ma and sister would be hard pressed to feed themselves. And he didn’t volunteer like the rest of us did. The mayor just told him he was going, willy-nilly.”

After a short pause, Sam cleared his throat self-consciously and addressed the girl. “Begging your pardon, Miss Leonora, but Jak might not be just a gaffer’s tale,” he said slowly. “Once or twice a year when we were boys, Eric and I would slip off to the Chetwood for a couple of days. Most of the time we'd do our hunting and come back home. But there were a few times when we thought we heard somebody chanting-like, pretty far away. It was always happened at night. We never could find out who it was. We did find Man tracks one time, and a fresh squirrel skin without any arrow mark, but that's all."