View Single Post
Old 09-29-2013, 04:47 PM   #29
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by jallanite View Post
What war were the Elves fighting? The war against Morgoth was fought by the Valar and Maiar, not the Elves. And the main villain was Morgoth, not Sauron. And unless you count the war between Morgoth and the Valar as beginning with the destuction of the two lamps, I am unaware of any source that says the war between Morgoth and the Valar lasted “thousands of years”.

According to “The Annals of Aman” in Morgoth’s Ring the final war between Morgoth and the Valar began in the year 1090 and ended with Morgoth’s imprisonment in the year 1100. Thus according to this account the war lasted only ten Valian years, about a hundred years of the Sun, not even close to one thousand years.

Or are you thinking of the later war which the Noldor and Sindar fought against Morgoth? That war was fought after the period that this thread is discussing.

I don’t see that your point is valid.
Yes, yes, you are right of course.

Sorry, I lost focus there. I could have sworn that Rhod talked about attitudes to weapon in M-E in general. Expanding the discussion from just Valinor to a more overarching level. . . but going back I can see that this was not the case.

This happens to me every now and then: Though normally I don't misunderstand/misread the posts, rather I tend too misremember what people have said, and then go slightly off-topic.

My apologies.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote