View Single Post
Old 06-30-2021, 01:48 AM   #492
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
The link doesn't work. ;( It's just the music without the lyrics.
That's because I accidentally used your link. -_- Here we go - the actual me singing.

Quote:
Also, I can shift the piece a couple tones down once I'm finished if that makes it easier to sing. I don't like shifting them too far, because it distorts the instrument sounds, but small shift would be fine. It's in Dm currently, and I just really don't want to be stuck writing it in Bbm or something, so it will stick in the nice clean key for now unless you'd rather I moved it down a lot. How do you feel about it?
I don't think you need to shift it; I can hit the note okay, it's just a bit of a struggle to hold it. Mixture of volume, length, and not properly anticipating it

Quote:
Neither do I! But from the context, a dirgol is supposed to be something of a Scottish plaid. It's one of those neologisms that I don't even know where to place linguistically - presumably Taliska, because no identifiable Elvish root and it's a specific cultural thing? But it has an Elvish ring to it. Who knows. I also have assumed that it's a neologism because I know of no equivalent in either Russian or English, but it may well be based on some obscure real world word in either language or a different language altogether (like weidh or deidi, just in that first chapter...).
It could be any one of a dozen things in Sindarin; the natural read would be dîr-coll, but that means [man/difficult]-[cloak/hollow]. It's very tempting to derive it from the English 'dirk', ie knife, but that leaves -ol, and why would they be coining cod-Middle English terms in a Russian fanfic?

Quote:
A Silmarillion Film?! Where did that end up and why is it not all over the Downs already? I wanna see! *excited noises*
Sadly it ran into the usual A/V project problem: plenty of writers (we had full scripts for Fall of the Noldor and Lay of Luthien), plenty of voice-actors, and nobody who could do music or visuals.

Hilariously, the forum is still there; apparently I also started a script for War of Wrath (I keep finding scraps of paper with bits of this on it), and - sound familiar? - a translation of a foreign script for Fall of Gondolin.

... and there is actually a trace of Fall of the Noldor in the Zong. During the Oath, the swords coming in one by one is directly how I played it in the script:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotN Scene 26
[Caranthir leaps up onto the steps beside his father, sword flickering red]

CARANTHIR: Be he elf, or orc, or demon foul of Morgoth Bauglir…

[Celegorm and Curufin leap up to join him]

CARANTHIR, CELEGORM, CURUFIN: Be he Mortal dark that in after days on Earth shall dwell…

[Amrod and Amras step up to join them]

CARANTHIR, CELEGORM, CURUFIN, AMROD, AMRAS: Shall no law, nor love, nor league of swords…

[Maedhros steps up to join them]

SONS OF FËANOR EXCEPT MAGLOR: No might, nor mercy…

[Maglor joins in from the crowd]

SONS OF FËANOR: Not moveless fate, defend him forever from the fierce vengeance of the Sons of Fëanor, whoso seize, or steal, or finding keep the fair enchanted globes of crystal whose glory dies not, the Silmarils. We have sworn forever!
(The whole thing comes hilariously close to being Leithian Script fanfic. I've just seen Edrahil's name fly past... XD)

Quote:
EDIT: I just had a moment. It corrected "barad" to "Barad". Hui, I swear this thing is learning! It's gonna start speaking Elvish any day now.
The world's first native speaker of Elvish is going to be a Google autocorrect AI. Love it.

hS