View Single Post
Old 02-21-2005, 12:51 PM   #10
A_Brandybuck
Haunting Spirit

A_Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to A_Brandybuck Send a message via AIM to A_Brandybuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
However if I remember correctly, Maedhros, expected to be on Thangorodrim forever ... so can you starve an elf to death (don't try that at home children )?
Oh yes, this is possible. Also an Elf can starve to death. Voronwë mentioned this while talking to Tuor. But he said also, that they need a long time without food, before they would die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfinished Tales, Of Tuor and his coming to Gondolin
But Voronwë would answer nothing clearly concerning the road. "You know the strength of Men," he said. "As for me, I am of the Noldor, and long must be the hunger and cold the winter that shall slay the kin of those who passed the Grinding Ice. Yet how think you that we could labour countless days in the salt wastes of the sea? Or have you not heard of the way-bread of the Elves? And I keep still that which all mariners hold until the last." Then he showed beneath his cloak a sealed wallet clasped upon his belt. "No water nor weather will harm it while it is sealed. But we must husband it until great need; and doubtless an outlaw and hunter may find other food ere the year worsens.
Voronwë's words let also imply, that Elves could freeze to death and that both happened in the voyage over the Helcaraxe.
btw. Does there are a mention how Turgon's wife lost her life in the Grinding Ice? Or a hint?