View Single Post
Old 10-30-2002, 04:22 AM   #335
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

BIRD'S POST

Bird dropped like a falcon into the midst of the acolytes, claws thrown forward and wings stretched back. The talons closed around the head of the high priest and his shrieks ripped the air as he was lifted from the ground. The dragon shook the body, whipping it back and forth until the torso separated from the shoulders and flew into the trees. Bird dropped the head, spread her wings and fell again.

The prisoners had flung their selves to the ground, covering their heads with their arms as the blood of the priest rained down upon them. But Gamba could not help but look up as he heard the dragon wings rush above him. The other acolytes had thrown down their ceremonial instruments and had turned to flee down the path. If they hoped to make it to the horses; it was too late. The panicked beasts had broken their tethers and were fleeing down the slope, screaming louder than the Men.

As the acolytes ran, a massive, silver and black wing came rushing into the crowd, a wall of leather that swept into the Men like a fly-swatter and threw them through the air. Some smashed into the rocks, one was skewered on a broken tree limb. Most were dead and broken before they hit the ground.

The dragon head whipped around as a last priest tried to crawl from behind the altar. The jaws closed and he was snapped in two. Then rearing like a horse, the massive from legs of the Wyrm came down on the rock slab, crumbling it like a loaf of bread, while the wings smashed into the surrounding arches, cracking the pillars and sending the crosspieces tumbling down the slope. Stone chips and dust flew through the air, a shard of marble sharp as a knife cutting Gamba’s cheek as is whirled past him. Gamba rolled over, pressing himself against Azraph to try to shield and comfort her, since his arms were still bound. Then he laid his head down again and waited for the dragon to find them.

And then it was quiet, except for the bellowing sound of the dragon’s breath as it lay on top of the rubble, panting like a dog. Then Gamba felt the hot blasts of the panting beast on his neck. He pressed himself tighter against Azraph, and waited to die.

And then he felt the tip of one talon, as long as his arm, delicately insert itself into his bonds and cut the cords without so much as a tug on his arms. The claw moved on, repeating the action on Azraph and the two Men.

"Get up!" commanded the dragon. The four prisoners raised their heads and looked into the silver eyes of the beast. "I said:" get up!" it repeated in an annoyed, winded voice. "There is not much time. These men are all dead, but the horses will flee back to the pens, and the guards may have heard me if they were outside."

Azraph threw her arms around Gamba, and the two halflings held to each other as they tried to process all that had happened in the last few minutes. They still expected to die. The two Men, however, were climbing slowly to their feet. The one, reaching down to assist his companion. Either they think it’s alright, or they intend to die on their feet thought the Halfling, and this small act on the part of the Men seemed to bring his own courage back. "What do you want with us?" he said to the Dragon, looking it straight in the eye as he held Azraph.

"What do you think I want? I’m taking you back to the tunnels. You want to be with your people when they catch the ships, don’t you.? Now come on. Can you walk?"

Azraph finally looked at the dragon with tear-streaked eyes. "You’re taking us home?"

At this the dragon snorted. "I’m taking you back to the caves. If you want to call them "home", that’s up to you. But if you don’t hurry, you’ll miss the ships, and the chance at a real home!" Then the dragon shook it’s head ruefully and said. "Please, you’ll have to forgive me. Being a dragon always makes me testy. Now come on. Climb on my back."

Gamba did not even know what to make of this last comment. . . . "being a dragon"? Well what else would you be? So he just got to his feet, helping Azraph up and walked towards the extended leg of the dragon. "Come on, Azraph. It’s alright, I think. We’re going home. Home."

"Wait!" cried the taller of the Men. The Dragon turned it’s giant head for the first time and actually smiled as it looked at the two. "Gilrain! Rumil! Well, this is a bit of luck for you two. You should get going now. I wouldn’t stay here, if I were you. You’re free. You need to get down to the sea. And you need to hurry. If you have family, go and find them. This island will not be here much longer."

Gilrain stepped forward and laid his hand on the hot flank of the Dragon. "Take us with you. We have to go back and free our comrades in the cages. You can not deny us this. If you are taking these Halflings, then you must take us as well."

The dragon chewed it’s lip in a worried manner. Then it shrugged it’s shoulders, almost knocking Gamba off, and sighed. "Very well. Get on. Oh, I hope I don’t get in trouble for this. But hurry!"

Gilrain and Rumil jumped on the Dragon’s back, grasping it’s hornlike scales as best they could. The dragon spread it’s silver wings, and with one downward flap. leapt into the sky.

They left the smoking ruins and the slaughtered priests behind, and flew back to the Siril. The dragon settled at the mouth of the river tunnel and furled its wings above the its head to allow its passengers to descend. The two Men leapt down and and helped the Halflings scramble down from the massive back.
"Thank you for helping us, though I don't know the reason why." Gamba bowed low, as he remembered other heroes had done in old tales. Azraph performed a pretty curtsy behind him, making her rags look like a ball gown for just a moment.

Bird tried to suppress a smile at this demostration of Hobbit politeness and cheek. Apparently it had always been a part of their makeup. But she only said "Don't thank me yet. I have only delivered you from danger to danger. There is still much to be done. The river tunnel should be clear by now. You know what to do, I think. Hurry!"

Bowing again, Gamba and Azraph turned and ran for the tunnel, each scooping up a few heavy river stones. Gamba turned back at the tunnel mouth, with a wave a smile; then he was gone. Bird could only hope she would see him again.

Gilrain and Rumil were studying the tracks of the small band that had descended from the ship and led into the tunnels. "So few," said Rumil. "Who would come with such a small band to assail such a place as this?"

"Friends of the Free People, of which we consider the Halfling Folk to be a small, but important part." said the Dragon, "Try to remember this, the next time the Men of Numenor cross paths with the Periannth again."

"Come, Rumil. We must try to find our way through this labyrinth to our own cells. Our brothers need us. Perhaps we can find some swords on the bodies of the guards."

"Wait!" said the Wyrm, "I'm coming with you." And with that, the Dragon started to melt before their eyes, shrinking and blending, until nothing but a small woman with black hair stood before them.

"My lady of the Locks!" gasped Gilrain, as he and Rumil started to kneel. "Oh, bother all that!" snorted Birdie, as she unwound a leather sling from around her waist. "We have no time. Come", she said, stooping also to grab a handful of river stones. "I'll lead you to your people, if they are still in the cages. Then you would be wise to take them and go! You have little time left, and I must concern myself with the Halfings."

Then Bird, Gilrain and Rumil ran for the tunnel, following the footprints of the crew of the Lonely Star.

[ October 30, 2002: Message edited by: Mithadan ]