View Single Post
Old 10-13-2005, 09:52 PM   #539
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
"What I've been up to?" repeated Saeryn, returning to a comfortable tailor's seat on the bench and cupping her small hands around her tea. She thought for a moment, comfortably lazing in the late afternoon light as her companions dug into the meal she had brought them. The shadows were beginning to fall heavily and the lamps had not yet been lit. Her cheeks glowed pink in the flickering firelight.

"After you and your daughter took leave with the lady Giedd, I took my own leave of Æòel, who perhaps you've not seen?" Saeryn queried, noting Eodwine's gentle shake of his head, "and Bethberry, giving them a time for talk. Perhaps Æòel will accept my invitation to stay as my guest. Gudryn is a dove, but I would never dream to impose on your family, nor on Mistress Bethberry for female companionship. I left the lass to decide. Should she accept, she knows where I can be found.

"After that, I searched my dear brother's room for signs of his whereabouts, like any good inquisative sister would." Saeryn winked at the men, showing her jest. "Being entirely unable to find Degas, I looked out the window, considering a ride. Yes, I know." she interrupted Eodwine's start. "I know I'm still bandaged and shouldn't be on a horse until my bruises are less tender... But then I noted the clouds rolling across the fields outside the city and decided that I'd rather not get caught out of doors when the rain began. Only the rain threatened all afternoon without a hint of real wet. The wind picked up as the warmth disappeared... but no rain."

She sighed wistfully, dreaming of the wind in her hair as she rode bareback across the open plains, heavy droplets staining her mare's brown coat with spots of black... No time soon, she reprimanded herself.

"And so," she continued, watching her audience for signs of boredom and seeing none, "I decided that it would be the perfect day for random tasks. So I cloistered myself in my room, mended clothes, put away my things, and frittered a few hours away doing small tasks. By mid-afternoon, I assure you, I was bored and my muscles were stiff and aching with the cold and disuse... so I went to the kitchens where it is so wonderfully warm... and I begged leave to help make supper. I chopped the very carrots and potatoes in that stew, if you'll believe me."

She smiled, content as a child satisfactorily completing her chores. Eodwine did not miss the nearly hidden question in her eyes and hid a smile.

"And the vegetables are most excellent, m'dear. The perfect size, and cooked tenderly as any master could do." She almost managed to hide her delight at the compliment and he almost managed to hide his delight at the child that still showed through her grown up facade. She mistook his smile, and probed some herself.

"And your day, Master Eodwine? I heard rumours of an errand for the King?"