View Single Post
Old 08-08-2005, 03:49 PM   #521
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

"My goodness, don't the tears flow! Quick, quick, take my hankie. Oh, wait, it will be drenched and fail to stop the torrent. Here, take up the bedsheets quickly before we all are drowned."

Despite herself, Saeryn's mouth turned up slightly with grins at this remark, which she desperately attempted to hide.

"I hadn't realised what girlish practices you maintained, despite your eagerness to wear those breeches, Saeryn," said Bethberry with a melodious timbre to her voice which considerably lightened the bathetic tone which Saeryn had struck. "If you wish to climb out of the gilded cage, leave the gilded behaviours behind as well, and think more seriously about the consequences of your behaviour."

Saeryn looked at Bethberry inquisitively, as if asking for clarification.

"You had implored us to harbour you safely from strangers and intruders yet here you have brought a stranger to your room yourself without anyone's knowledge. I'm sure your intentions were kindly and well meant--here Bethberry smiled at the forelorn younger girl who seemed rooted to the spot--but you need to think more circumspectly as well."

Saeryn said nothing, chestfallen as she was that her heroic ideals of her actions were dashed.

"Come now," said the Innkeeper, " is this small, wee girl Ćňel? How do you do, young miss? And you were hiding in the stable? I'll warrent it wasn't warm enough for you, for you are shivering and look very pale and wan. I am Bethberry, the Innkeeper here at The White Horse."

She put out her hand to shake with Ćňel, an action the young girl could barely believe. Never before had anyone respected her well enough to shake her hand, except for her father and family. It was a timid shake, yet the touch cleared the air of any hard feelings and fears.

"You have dressed yourself sensibly, however, and look more than presentable to any group of people, either here or at the Golden Hall."

Here, Ćňel's eyes widened with fearful thought of powerful groups of people and fancy lords and ladies. Bethberry noted the sign and responded accordingly.

"Nay, be not so afraid. We are but common folk here, minding our own ways and seeking some bit of cheer at times to lighten our days. We turn no deserving soul away, unless it is by the eagerness of our young lads to speak of marriage."

Bethberry winked at Saeryn and then turned back to young Ćňel.

"Come, I think the kitchen has finished serving the meal, but I'm sure I can find something for you, if you wish to a quiet spot by the warmth of the fire and away from prying eyes." The smile on the Innkeeper's face fell warmly upon Ćňel's heart as she prepared to reply.

Last edited by Bęthberry; 08-08-2005 at 04:54 PM. Reason: removing siggie